Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we got a bulletin in today for some of the new malibus

the problem is that some of the acoustical film that is between the glass in the windshield, when left out in the sun and heated up, will form, what looks like, a snowflake.

they sent us pictures and it looks exactly like a snowflake, it's weird.
so if you get one, now you know. take it in to the dealer.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Oh great, I leave mine out at work from 8:00am until 4:30pm every day before I go home and put it in the garage. Did they mention how often they have seen this happen and I assume this will mean a new windshield will be in order? Is there a way to post a picture of what this looks like on the forum? I would be curious to know if this is isolated to a certain batch of windshields or at particular plants where the car was made. Thanks in advance for any info regarding this.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Awesome. This is something we don't need on this car. Hopefully it was a limited batch of windshields...

·
Registered
36 Posts

the problem is that some of the acoustical film that is between the glass in the windshield, when left out in the sun and heated up, will form, what looks like, a snowflake.

I have an odd looking circular "image" with dots in the center on my rear window glass...is this similar? I thought it was the suction thing that the assembly line used to place the window but i sprayed and cleaned it inside and out and its still there.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have similar marks on my side glass (both fronts). They're most noticable when the car gets fogged up a bit some mornings. I also assumed there were from the suction thing, and that with enough cleaning will eventually disappear. Time will tell.

·
Registered
9 Posts

In the glass manufacturing world, its called a "star burst" and is caused by trapped air (dust particle) during the bonding phase ... originally the plastic was encorporated into the windshields to keep passengers inside the car in the event of an accident, since the incorporstion of passenger side air bags the thickness of the plastic had to be increased so the air bag deployment didn't go through the windshield. Calling it acoustical film leads folks to believe its for sound reduction.

·
Registered
489 Posts
In the glass manufacturing world, its called a "star burst" and is caused by trapped air (dust particle) during the bonding phase ... originally the plastic was encorporated into the windshields to keep passengers inside the car in the event of an accident, since the incorporstion of passenger side air bags the thickness of the plastic had to be increased so the air bag deployment didn't go through the windshield. Calling it acoustical film leads folks to believe its for sound reduction.
Actually, I'm pretty sure the windshield has the acoustical film as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.