Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The buick century site is pretty quiet, and the only answer I got on this was to check the harmonic balancer which seems ok.

It is a 2001, with the 3.1 Engine I thought I would post my problem on here, because I know these vehicles are very mechanically similar.

so here is my post, hope to get some suggestions

So I get out today, and this is a first, after driving around 15 miles just to be sure, this thing is knocking, yea I have heard of piston slap. This was my grandmas car, and sat for awhile but all fluids were changed at 25k when I received the car.

So I start it today, and it sounds like a knocking, but is loud when I start it, it was in 80 degree heat, so it wasnt a subzero start. So I take it around town and on the highway down here at college, for about 15 miles, hoping its the GM piston slap that supposedly goes away after warming up.

Well it did for the most part, but you can hear still hear something maybe a knocking.

I drove the car onto a curb and crawled under, from what I could diagnose with my ears, this noise was louder in the wheel wells, and under the car, not near the top of the engine.

I am hoping something needs lubed, or its something minor. I love GM, my parents dont feel the same way, but I know many friends who have owned GM's with 150k+ miles and I would be surprised if this was a major problem

This car did get maybe 5k miles on it since 2003 until I got it in late 2007. But had never made this sound before.

I don't run it hard, I always change oil with regular valvoline at every 3k miles, all the fluids were changed at 25k miles, including a tuneup, no trouble codes, not running rough/rich, timing belt seems ok. Also I have always run 89 octane (premium) from Shell, Sunoco, Mobil if that counts.....

I would just be surprised if it were anything major at 34,900 miles.

Please some insight would be appreciated. I will take it to the local dealer in about 500 miles when the oil change is due but wanted to ask the helpful people on here first.

It is noticeable on startup however after 20-30mins of driving it is very hard to hear.

It also does increase the rate of this sound when the rpms go up but doesnt get louder.

Does GM piston slap continue once the car is continually warmed up and running?
Or
Any thoughts. I know its a century but is very mechanically similar to a Malibu with 3100 engine.

I really appreciate any thoughts........Its also not burning any fluids or leaking anything.

·
Registered
421 Posts
No suggestions directly concerning the problem. But this site is mostly populated by owners of the newest model Malibu, none of which have the 3100 in them (not since the 97-03 / 04+ Classic models). I suggest making a post over in the GMInsideNews forums, where there is also a tech help area. You'll stand a greater chance of getting a useful reply there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.