Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, where can I get a spare key besides the dealer. They want $63 for a single key. The two local hardware stores didn't have any blanks that would work. It doesn't really need to the have the transponder since i'll be putting in a magnetic box and hiding it under the car.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Magnetic box does what...? Curious.
I'm pretty sure he just means a little box to hold his key that's just magnetic in the way that the box will "stick" to metal, like part of the underbody.

2001FZ1...right?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Magnetic box does what...? Curious.
Yeah, I'm guessing it's so that he has a spare right underneath his car if he loses his key somewhere.

Oh, if you find your Malibu missing one morning, you know how I got in and where to find me. Just shoot me a PM and it'll be back in your driveway within an hour. :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty sure he just means a little box to hold his key that's just magnetic in the way that the box will "stick" to metal, like part of the underbody.

2001FZ1...right?
yep. gonna hide it under the car somewhere.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It doesn't really need to the have the transponder since i'll be putting in a magnetic box and hiding it under the car.
The chip has to be installed for the key to work, anyway, no? :confused:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The chip has to be installed for the key to work, anyway, no? :confused:
not to open the door. I leave the keys in my cars at home and sometimes do the same when going places but still remember to lock the doors. :eek: I have used the spare key on the camaro several times.

Its nice living in an area where I can go to work with the garage door open, keys in the bike, keys in the camaro and not have to worry about some punk stealing my stuff.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Years ago I would use those to hide keys. One day I open it up and someone put a note in there saying they found my key and I should not use magnetic boxes. I have no idea who put it there, but I took his advise and don't use them anymore.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
not to open the door. I leave the keys in my cars at home and sometimes do the same when going places but still remember to lock the doors. :eek: I have used the spare key on the camaro several times.

Its nice living in an area where I can go to work with the garage door open, keys in the bike, keys in the camaro and not have to worry about some punk stealing my stuff.
:eek: It's just a matter of time, don't understand that train of thought, why would you leave your keys in the car, one day that false sense of security is gonna turn on you and it won't be Purrrdy ;)

·
Registered
749 Posts
Don't you need the transponder to start the engine??? What's the point of having another set of keys if they don't even start the car?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't you need the transponder to start the engine??? What's the point of having another set of keys if they don't even start the car?
open the door.

:eek: It's just a matter of time, don't understand that train of thought, why would you leave your keys in the car, one day that false sense of security is gonna turn on you and it won't be Purrrdy ;)
thats the difference between California and Indiana. Not everyone is out to steal your stuff here. Most days, we don't even lock the doors to the house. If someone wants in bad enough, they will just break a window. Now I'm stuck with a broke window and stolen property.

·
Registered
795 Posts
open the door.
Don't forget On star will do that as long as you have the service and roadside assistance will take care of it for 3 years. But I agree a spare hey is handy to have. I purchased spare keys at time of purchase on both of our vehicles. At that time they sold them to me at their cost.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I understand it can open the door but what happens once you're in the car? Do you just sit there? Sorry I just don't comprehend the point of having a separate key to open the doors.. LOL

·
Registered
795 Posts
I understand it can open the door but what happens once you're in the car? Do you just sit there? Sorry I just don't comprehend the point of having a separate key to open the doors.. LOL
He may want to carry a spare key in case he locks his main set in the car.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Ohhhhh true true.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Although I'm not going to say we do it, I have heard of people who hide a spare caravan key on the chassis under the caravan, in a tupperware box taped to the chassis. However, if we meet you on site, and you're looking for my spare key to nick my stuff, don't look on the chassis!I also do this because spare was lost and i get it back from Evanston Locksmith and now i used to hide it.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
This thread made me think of this - Programming instructions for replacement keys

You can get an extra NEW keyless entry FOB on eBay for 18 bucks, Once you have the key cut, you can program the key and remote yourself at home.

This is how to program the switchblade type key fob for your 2013, 2014 or 2015 Chevrolet Malibu:

• To initiate, this procedure requires that a learned
master key be available.
• A total of 10 keys may be programmed to a single
vehicle.
• This procedure adds keys only. The procedure
does not erase previously learned keys.
• The keys to be learned must duplicate the
mechanical cut of the current key.
• If more than one valet key is to be learned,
immediately precede each valet key with a
learned master key.
1. With a previously learned master key, turn ON
the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Turn OFF the ignition and remove the key.
3. Within 10 seconds of turning OFF the ignition,
insert the key to be learned and turn ON the
ignition. The vehicle has now learned the new key.

Additional programming instructions for proxy key (push button start on your dash) are located here: 2013, 2014 and 2015 Chevy Malibu keyless entry remote/key fob (switchblade type) FREE programming instructions | Carandtruckremotes.com Blog ? free keyless remote programming instructions

Attachments

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,203 Posts
This forum section is for Gen7 (2008-2012). Just so future readers know how to apply your information...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.