Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was the gm owners site today and noticed under my warranties that there is now a "special coverage 15356" warranty for 10 years and 150,000 miles active. Anybody else have this or now what systems/parts it affects?

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's the same for my vehicle.

This is for the EPS system - specifically to the assist motor and the controllers.

Symptoms include spotty assist and/or complete lack of assist

·
Registered
172 Posts
can anyone post the details or text of this? I want to see if mine is covered. Mine is non existent once the weather starts getting cold.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It will show up in the my chevy owners site once you log into your account. From the GM rep:

"On some 2007-2012 model year Chevrolet
Malibu's equipped with electric power steering assist (EPS), the steering
column torque sensor or the EPS motor/controller may cause the vehicle
to suddenly lose EPS. If the vehicle loses EPS, the vehicleâs driver
information center will display a warning message and a warning chime
will be heard. The vehicle will revert to a manual steering mode, which
requires greater driver effort to operate at low vehicle speeds."

·
Registered
172 Posts
Does it say anything about fixing it? Thats what I'm concerned with! I already am very well aware of the problem lol

·
Registered
99 Posts
I read your older posts related to the EPS issues. I had similar problems - they replaced the controller first (improved but didn't fix the problem completely) and then the torque sensor which fixed the issue. You would have to take it to a dealership within the stipulated years/miles they will fix it.

Other than that - give GM customer service a call. You might have to try different representatives as I am learning to find one that is helpful and will do that little extra work to try to help you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I called service department this week after my power steering light came on while driving.
They told be about this special coverage. I was able to get it fixed without a problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This bad service extends north into Canada. My Chevy Malibu EPS steering torque sensor was supposed to be covered under special coverage 15356, Everyone at GMC ( Patty @ 1-800-263-3777) (Mary @ 1877-472-8876 ext 5912549) sounded like a robot recording. Why have live operators when they only read out pre-prepared scripts? Take my advice: Buy your next car from someone other than GMC.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I know this is a relatively old thread, but my power steering would go in an out every now and again. a restart would almost always fix it, until one day, it went out completely. found out about this coverage, and went to a local dealer with the number in hand. no problem at all. the service writer punched it in the computer, only asked me if any messages popped up in the dash (which was Check ESC, Service traction, and service stabilitrack), and it was fixed at no charge to me, along with another one for that matter.

it did take a few days to get the parts, but only a few hours to put them in.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,690 Posts
Happy to hear that you were treated well and that your car is back to working like it should again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Be careful when this happens. I lost power steering in my 2011 Chevy Malibu while making a turn. I heard the warning chime and the messages appeared on the dash regarding the power steering going out and to check ESC. It was later restored by moving my car to the side of the road and turning the car off and on. I called GM and they put me in contact with a Chevy Dealership. I explained to them that there are other complaints about this happening in Chevy Malibus (I didn't know about the policy at the time) and that the issue is no longer occurring after the car was turned off and back on. I took the car in and they mentioned they couldn't re-create it and that it could be the battery as it was leaking. $500 dollars later (2 hours of labor) I got my car back. I lost power steering a week later and called the dealership. They mentioned I would most likely need to bring the car back in and pay the $100 diagnostic fee to look the car over again (diagnostic fee was waived the first time as I contacted GM first). I decided to take the car to a local mechanic who found policy 15356, made an appointment with another Chevy dealership which fixed the issue free of charge.

The issue is that I had to have a local mechanic find this policy and contact a reputable Chevy Dealership to fix the issue. I spent a week without a car but at least the other dealership fixed the issue instead of trying to find something else. I feel cheated over the $500 dollars to switch out a battery when the entire issue was the result of a known issue and was later fixed free of charge. I contacted GM and explained the experience at the first dealership and was told there is nothing they can do but escalate the issue to management.

The point of this post is to tell you that if the power steering cuts out and is restored after restarting the car, there is a chance they won't fix it because they might not be able to re-create it. You have to then drive with the thought that your power steering is going to go out unexpectedly again.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just as an update, I finally bit the bullet and got mine fixed. I was pretty well set on doing the repair myself, until I talked to a friend of mine who's a GM mechanic at a dealership. He cautioned me that if the sensor isn't dead on straight, literally within about 1mm when you pull the pin out that holds it in place, it'll ruin the sensor and you'll be out the $220 you just paid for it at the dealer. He said when that happens, as soon as you turn the key on once you put it back together it'll slam the steering wheel all the way to one direction and thats it. The sensor will be ruined.

So based on that info, it made sense to pay $200 in dealership labor to have them replace it rather than risk ruining a sensor and having to pay for two sensors plus the labor for the dealer to do it after I messed it up once.

But it did 100% fix the problem! Been several weeks now and it's nice to have power steering again!

For the record, I've got almost 230k miles on my car, so it was way way over the mileage that fell under the extended coverage policy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wife has an '08 and had the motor control module replaced in September, 2014. Now it's acting up again and wife's first call to dealer got a "we might not be able to fix it for free again" response. I haven't called them back yet - anybody else get this kind of BS, if so what'd you do?!

·
Premium Member
3,242 Posts
It's an extended coverage out to 150k miles. My dealer covered me at 149600 miles.
If they don't want to help you get on the horn to corporate, sometimes dealers or service writers need a kick in the butt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.