Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 2700 miles, my 2.4 litre, 6 speed transmission failed.
Engine light came on and car dropped speed. Will not go over 30 MPH..
Took to dealer and they diagnosed the speed sensor failed. There are only 2 parts in stock on the eastern half of the U.S.
Have to drop the transmission to replace..
Now I have to wonder about quality of this car with such a failure so early on.. All miles are highway miles and had the car only 3 weeks!! OUCH !!!

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
That's pretty nasty...On the bright side - it's probably a fluke. I don't recall anyone else reporting such failure here...

·
Registered
202 Posts
There are only 2 parts in stock on the eastern half of the U.S.
That right there tells you the problem is rare. If it was a common problem, the dealer would have it in stock.

·
Registered
749 Posts
YIKES!!!!!!

I would've shiattt my pants and been so enraged if that happened to me!

Good thing they know what the issue is though and can fix it!

Are they giving you a loaner in the meantime?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well, stuff happens. When I bought my new 2000 Grand Prix, I was driving it home and it quit on a mile long bridge... bad fuel injector. It had less than 25 miles on it... and the tow truck driver put a dent in it towing it to the dealer.

I've had my 2009 Boo in the shop at least 5 times -- bad smell, problem with the transmission (it "forgot" how to shift), not aligned,... The only problem I got upset with the dealer about was the alignment (they should not have put it out on the road when it was pulling that badly -- they had to rotate the tires to fix it and if, when I rotate them again it starts to pull because the tires were ruined, they'll put new tires on it) -- the rest wasn't their fault and they have been good about giving me a free loaner car, paying for the gas, and working with me to fix any problems.

·
Registered
493 Posts
It is a given that for the first two years of a new model they'll run into bugs that haven't shown up for one reason or another, doesn't mean the car's a bad product just some issues have popped up that the mule cars they ahd out running durability tests didn't have come up. And most of the problems are with tparts that the suppliers send them, you could have 10 million items of one part and have some of those fail because they were overlooked by accident in quality control. I've always heard that when a new model comes out to wait till the third year to buy htat model since the manufacturer wil have worked out most of the bugs. It's a mechanical and electrical contraption that anything can happen at anytime and no one can predict what problems could happen, but they do what they can to test mules of these models before released to the public to try and give a car with the best reliability possible. Sometimes it takes a redesign of a part that's been the trouble to eliminate it or to re-egineer the way it works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.