Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed Front and Rear Splash Guards Today

I have sore knees and wrists, but I managed to install front and rear splash guards today, without killing myself. I have attached the included instructions, but I will state my instructions, as things don’t always go according to plan.

Regarding the front splash guards installation:

You can install the front splash guards (SG) without removing the front wheels as long as you turn them left or right. A hole will need to be drilled in the underside of body panel, I used a cordless drill which was kind a bulky, unless you have a compact drill, you will need to jack up the front end.

Using a 7mm socket driver, remove the existing bolts in locations B and C as illustrated in the instructions.

Mount the SG with the existing bolts, but don’t fully tighten. While holding the SG, drill a 1/8” hole in location A (you will be drilling into metal, if you don’t have a nice new drill bit, try a smaller size, as GM has used some pretty heavy steel), check the bottom side of the SG is in place before you drill.

Using a Phillips screwdriver, install the bi-wax screw into the hole that you drilled. Hold the SG in place when you tighten, and now you can tighten up the existing bolts.

Drill a hole in location D, this is plastic and will cut like butter. The instructions stated to use1/4” bit, but I used 3/16”. Holding the spring clip on the inside, screw in the regular screw, the fit should be easy, if it binds, reverse and keep trying.

You have completed one SG, repeat for the other side.

I found the fit wasn’t perfect, the SG is shaped with the assumption that the underbody stands out a bit from the body, but with my car, these are perfectly flush, so there is a bit of gap between the SG and the underbody. Looking close it is noticeable, but I don’t think anyone else would notice.

Regarding the rear splash guards installation:

You will need to remove the rear wheels, if you aren’t experience in removing wheels, then you better let the dealer take over. I won’t go into the details on jacking up the car, and removing the wheel, but will offer a few tips. Have a rag handy to clean the mating surfaces between the wheel and rotor. If you don’t have your own jack, but do have an impact wrench, you can use it spin the jack spindle, as this car requires a high lift to get the wheel off. Use a jack-stand to ensure the car doesn’t crash to the ground, should the jack tip over.

Remove the finned clip from location B, you can either cut it off with cutters, or twist and turn from inside and out until you can pull it out.

Lift the liner and fit the large clip (the flat side out as the other side is where the screw will secure from). Using a Phillips screwdriver, install one of the supplied screws, mount the SG but don’t fully tighten the screw.

I suggest to start at the bottom, as fitting the SG perfectly, was rather difficult. Drill a hole in location C, the instructions stated to use 1/4” bit, but I used 3/16”. Take care that the SG is best fitted from top to bottom before drilling. Hold the spring clip on the inside, screw in one of the regular screws, the fit should be easy, if it binds, reverse and keep trying.

The top hole will need to be drilled next; I found that a tight fit wasn’t necessarily the best fit. Drilling will be very close to the edge of the liner, and you may consider drilling a new hole in the SG. Be sure to use a bigger drill bit for the SG and don’t keep drilling into the liner. Using a 3/32” drill bit, hold the SG in place as you drill into location A. Install the supplied screw and fully tighten, as well as the remaining screws.

The last step is the 1/4” hole in location D, and inserting the supplied finned clip. My cordless drill was bulky, and had difficulty in finding enough room behind the disk brake, so I drilled at an angle from the underside. Push in the supplied finned clip and you are done, now repeat for the other side.

I found the fit wasn’t perfect at all; I followed the instructions drilling from location A, but had better luck when I started from the bottom when I did the other side. Installing the SG as tight as possible won’t help either, so try to find a good fit all around, rather than tight fit at one end.

I think I covered everything; if there are any question, just let me know. I took some pictures, but wasn’t until the sun nearing the horizon, so maybe tomorrow I will try again.

http://www.geocities.com/zen77982dog/SplashGuardFront.pdf

http://www.geocities.com/zen77982dog/SplashGuardRear.pdf

http://s699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/K7292ZEN/?action=view&current=Front.jpg

http://s699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/K7292ZEN/?action=view&current=Rear.jpg

·
Registered
701 Posts
WOW - Great write up - They look good, I see a little bit of what you mean about the fit....but all in all they look really nice! Good Job.

Thanks for the detailed write up....hmm....I really need to look at getting a set of these...by I am not sure if I want regular style or the splash guards....will have to do some searching and see what both options look like.

·
Registered
39 Posts
These look great... are the splash guards always in the same color (the ones you installed)

·
Registered
68 Posts
they look good, I could only see the ast two links though, great job on the write up! could you please take a picture from far away (non closeup) so I can get the feeling on how it looks?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I installed the factory splash guards and found it to be pretty easy. I did however remove the wheels. I wanted to eyeball the underpinnings of the 2010 LT1 Malibu. I noticed the fit was close, but not perfect as well. Nothing noticeable though. The one thing I recently discovered this winter is they collect slush like there is no tomorrow and if it freezes you have a major ice cube traveling with your car that is perfectly formed to the tire. Don't try to kick it to remove it unless you have steel toes. Ouch!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.