Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering if any one is having trouble with rear suspension squeaking. It is really bad in the mornings. I can hear it squeaking while driving. It eventually settles down. But, when I get out of the car, it is really squeaking quite loudly. Lifting up on the rear of car causes it to squeak as well.

Any one else?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
no i have not had that. but if its anything like my bmw m3, your suspension is bent. and you prolly wanna check to see if the side it is making the squeaking, check if the tire is alined.

·
Registered
144 Posts
where are you hearing this squeaking noise from? i have a squeaking noise in my car, and its very squeaky on cold mornings, (or whenever i start driving after its sat for a while), and my noise happens on smooth roads too. im hearing it from the passenger side quarter panel. had it to the dealer once, and they fixed the wheel liner, citing it was the problem, but it still does it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It's coming from both sides on the rear. It sounds like the bushings in the rear suspension need to be lubed. Mine is definately not the wheel liner. I can lift up on the car on each side of the car at the rear and it sounds like an old door creaking when you open it, only much louder. It also does it on the road, especially in the mornings. I believe it's the pivot points on the rear suspension.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just got mine back today. Same issue as yours, They replaced and lubed during install. They also checke the front and they were "oozing" out of place. Much smoother ride in front and squeak is gone>>>:D

·
Registered
151 Posts
I got a squeak on my 2010 2LT. I could hear squeaking in the morning, while the car was cold everytime I hit any bumps (regardless of size).
It took me a couple of days to figure out where it was coming from. It was from the headliner. Turns out a retainer was not clipped correctly and was missing insulation above the rear passenger side seat. When you pressed on the headliner in that area, you could hear the noise. Dealer replaced the insulation and clipped the retainer correctly. All good now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Have same problem with the rear squeak. Going in for rear link kit on Tuesday. Front suspension also rattled a while back which resulted in a new rack under warranty. Front-end doesn't make as much noise as it did before replacing the rack but washboard roads still result in clunky noise from the front. Sounds like damper issues in front struts or possibly front links ! Frustrating! BTW, my Bu has 60,000km (approx 36Mi) and still under warranty.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Rear links were replaced.......bye bye squeak
Almost forgot to mention that squeek had only gone away for two days because of wet weather. The car has been looked at on 3 to 4 occasions by dealer tech and squeek is still there. Rear left brake pad slides were greased today. Drove the car away only to be back 5 minutes later..... I think a little mouse must be living in the rear quarter area of the car ;). Anyhow, dealer asked me to bring car in again next week.

I suggested that they lube the rear left strut top mount as per a post that I read on this forum. I think they will try it. If that works, the service rep said that they would have to replace something since lubing is only a temporary fix.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Almost forgot to mention that squeek had only gone away for two days because of wet weather. The car has been looked at on 3 to 4 occasions by dealer tech and squeek is still there. Rear left brake pad slides were greased today. Drove the car away only to be back 5 minutes later..... I think a little mouse must be living in the rear quarter area of the car ;). Anyhow, dealer asked me to bring car in again next week.

I suggested that they lube the rear left strut top mount as per a post that I read on this forum. I think they will try it. If that works, the service rep said that they would have to replace something since lubing is only a temporary fix.
OK ladies and gents, I have isolated the infamous rear squeek after all this time.... and I believe dealer should and will repair this even though my Bu is out of warranty! I'm certain that it has something to do with the parking brake....most likely the cable. When driving at low speed and hearing the infamous squeek, I simply push the parking brake down a bit and....presto....squeek goes away:D. Phoned the dealer service rep and he told me they would replace an insulator. Anyone know what that means?

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK ladies and gents, I have isolated the infamous rear squeek after all this time.... and I believe dealer should and will repair this even though my Bu is out of warranty! I'm certain that it has something to do with the parking brake....most likely the cable. When driving at low speed and hearing the infamous squeek, I simply push the parking brake down a bit and....presto....squeek goes away:D. Phoned the dealer service rep and he told me they would replace an insulator. Anyone know what that means?
I forgot to post an update. The strut wasn't the problem, the squeak came back. The parking brake cable is the real problem, you've found it! The dealer found that it was rubbing against something on the rear brakes. They put a rubber piece on it to space it out and it's actually gone this time. But, don't hold your heads up for too long. You're going to run into tons of problems in the front suspension at around 30 to 45k miles. I traded my 'bu in for a 2011 Fusion, they're way better cars. My 'bu starting falling apart around 40 to 46k when I finally ditched it. I used to hate Fords BTW, but I'm sick and tired of these terrible issue that plague many GMs. I thought they got the Malibu right, I was sadly mistaken. I work at a Chevy dealer actually and I've found 2009 to be the most reliable year. 2008 was ok, but 2010 and ups have been having some weird problems like the air bag modules and quality issues with the interior.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.