Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Did you get the warning before changing the battery? Charge on battery could be low from sitting on the store shelf, new batteries really need to be charged before installing in the car.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Is the alternator charging? Should show over at least 13.5 volts after start up.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yeah.. put a volt meter on it bouncing round 14v when running. I;m going to go back to basics and disconnect the battery and have a coffee then reconnect and see might clear the warning.
"Bouncing around"? If the voltage is fluctuating then there is an bad connection the the battery, it shouldn't flicker, period.

Make sure the connections to the battery are tight and then measure the ground resistance between the post on the strut tower and the battery post. It should be in the sub-ohm range, like 10-50mOhms.

A lot of Stabilitrack "faults" are lousy grounds, poor battery connections, a crappy battery or low system voltage.

I always spray a battery terminal chemical on posts before attaching the cables, it minimizes corrosion and makes for a more solid connection. I swapped the battery in my Premier 2 yrs ago and no issues, but battery voltage was stable after the swap.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,840 Posts
Good catch! Thanks for sharing the solution!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"Bouncing around"? If the voltage is fluctuating then there is an bad connection the the battery, it shouldn't flicker, period.

Make sure the connections to the battery are tight and then measure the ground resistance between the post on the strut tower and the battery post. It should be in the sub-ohm range, like 10-50mOhms.

A lot of Stabilitrack "faults" are lousy grounds, poor battery connections, a crappy battery or low system voltage.

I always spray a battery terminal chemical on posts before attaching the cables, it minimizes corrosion and makes for a more solid connection. I swapped the battery in my Premier 2 yrs ago and no issues, but battery voltage was stable after the swap.
It's all good now.. except the wife nagging I should slow down and not rush :D voltage is stable @ 13.5v I'm happy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts