Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i started my car and i drove out on the road (dry pavement)and my check engine light was flashing and my stability trac light came on there was not much power when i stepped on the gas then about 3 minutes later both lights went out and it was fine ?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,931 Posts
Was the air very humid? Was it cold out?

My Gen7 has had that happen when it's very humid, and worse when it's cold.

Read the "fretting corrosion" thread in the Gen7 sticky section. It could give you some good guidance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2017 doing the same thing but it want start unless I get a jump. At first I will get the battery light, engine light and the two swirl road. Now I get the engine light and the stability light.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,536 Posts
My 2017 doing the same thing but it want start unless I get a jump. At first I will get the battery light, engine light and the two swirl road. Now I get the engine light and the stability light.
Your engine light is on solid or blinking/flashing?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,931 Posts
Just a heads up for you and future readers:

That icon that you've described as "two swirl road" is a yellow light letting you know that TC (traction control), ABS (anti-lock brakes), and/or ESC (electronic stability control) are not active. It's still safe to drive the car, but if you jam on the brakes, such as during an emergency stop, the tires will skid if ABS has been deactivated.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,536 Posts
If you always need a jump to start the car and it doesn't die again while driving, the charging system is likely ok. It's probably just the battery in need of replacement. At 4-5 years it is due. I would get a code scan to verify codes while you have them. Depending on the outcome plan to at least change the battery. Engine light on solid is a problem that needs attention but not an emergency like the flashing light described by the initial creator of this discussion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok thanks. I brought it new so I haven’t replaced the battery since I brought the car. Advance auto said my battery was reading good. But I noticed I started getting the abs light, brakes, engine light and stability tract light once I got new tires and alignment. Also got mounts and struts done too. But they will come one then when the car starts they will go off. It happen maybe ones a week.

·
Registered
7 Posts
But this past Friday it did the same thing. Got a jump then it started. But this morning I got the stability light and engine light only and wouldn’t start but got a jump started. Check my car on lunch break wouldn’t start. Got off at 5 hesitant to start but started up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts