Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi CMF crew,

Hope everyone is keeping safe during these uncertain times. Wanted to give everyone an update on an issue I had with my car and the solve. Thinking if any of you are having the same or similar issue, you can continue reading.

Since mid-March, Canada has been on lock down due to Covid-19. That said, I've been working from home to date. Up until a few weeks ago, haven't driven my car, (taking advantage of delivery for food and groceries), only started it to let it run for about 10 minutes every week or so.

[Friday May 8] One evening, decided to take the car out for a drive, as it was nice out. Figured it'll be nice to get outside of the house and enjoy some tunes on a clear highway. Upon turning the key, click click click, the car wouldn't turn over. No lights came on, radio wasn't working. And for a period, the car wouldn't lock or unlock. My battery was dead after weeks of being un-driven. Not sure what could have drained it, as I only have 1 subwoofer in the car. Anyways I proceeded to get a jump. Then continued to go for a short drive.

The car sat until Wednesday May 27. On that date, I took it for a drive. Started up fine, got my tunes ready to go and went on a nice 60km drive heading North, on a highway which was not normally clear. The car drove great, up until I came to stop at red lights and stop signs. The engine died. I was a little freaked out as idiots behind me were honking, despite having my hazards on. I thought the battery went again, however this wasn't the case as each time the engine died, the radio would still work. The engine died on every stop light and stop sign on the way home.

I did some research online and a lot of car forums with similar issues had said it was the battery. So I booked an appointment at my local mechanic for an OEM AC Delco battery install.

Friday May 29, I took my car in for the new battery. Explained to my mechanic the case above, and he confirmed it would likely be the battery. After receiving the car, I pulled into the McD's drive-thru, and the engine died twice (radio still working). Talk about bad timing and a mini panic attack (lol). Immediately called the mechanic and let him know the engine died twice. He was nice enough to have me bring it back it to take a look at. On the way back to the mechanic, the engine died an additional 3 times. I was freaking out. So to avoid stalling, I would shift the car into Park when coming to a stop. I left my car with the mechanic for a few days.

Monday June 1, I got a call saying my car was ready for pick-up. My mechanic mentioned that the engine dieing had to do with the throttle body, so he did a throttle body and injection service. He said (I'm paraphrasing here), "Over time, the computer of the throttle body adjusts itself to your driving habits and due to the age of the car. Because you jumped the car, it restored it self to factory settings and didn't know how to control the idle when coming to a stop. It's common with GM and Lexus products".

Drove it that evening after work, and went to every stop light and stop sign in my neighbourhood for almost 30 minutes. It seemed like that did the trick. My car didn't stall. Although, I haven't regained the confidence of my car just yet.

Anyone know if what my mechanic mentioned regarding the throttle body is accurate? I just want to understand better. Has anyone had similar issues, if so, what was the solve?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,479 Posts
Thanks for the post with the fix!

I had my Gen7 V6 at a dealer where a member works. He informed me that GM has an "offset" in the ECM that adjusts as the TB gets dirty. When you clean it, it needs to be reset to 0, after which it will once start adding to the offset.

Your dead battery may have reset the computer, but the dirty TB may have been too dirty for the mileage and it just couldn't figure it out. In my opinion, that's poor programming, but that's beside the point. His statement seems plausible.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey all,

Quick update. Haven't really taken the car out since it's last "fix". Took the car out yesterday to visit some family. Drove for about an hour and the engine died 4 times when coming to a stop! It was very fustrating and scary. Same thing on the ride home.

It's weird because it started right back up, a really rough start though. And the radio and lights still worked.

Considering the above original post, anyone have any ideas, or experienced similar issues?

I'm taking it back to the mechanic on Monday morning. Just hoping the bill isn't and arm and leg, and also hoping I don't have to buy a new car.

·
Registered
221 Posts
(NOT A MECHANIC) rough idle at stops i've had on a car once was Fuel Pressure Regulator typically ran fine unless at idle. Could also be bad spark plugs, dirty TB, dirty Intake valves, dirty/faulty MAF or Oxy Sensors. Maybe not the battery but poor grounding or bad cables?

Have you tried running an intake valve cleaner? Are you getting check engine light or throwing any codes?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Sharon,

Thanks for responding.

There's no engine lights, and according to my mechanic, no codes. The last things he did were a throttle body service and install a new oem battery.

I'm taking it to the mechanic tomorrow morning. Looking forward to a solution, if any.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,543 Posts
Check the intake manifold bolts and tighten them if necessary. This is a common issue we're finding as gen 8 malibu models accumulate age and miles.

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update, my mechanic got back to me and couldn't pin point the issue. He reco'd taking to the dealer. I have an appointment next week, couldn't get it in earlier due to restrictions from Covid. Will keep all posted.

I genuinely hope the service dept at the dealer can rectify the issue and not cost an arm and leg.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,543 Posts
I repeat: check the intake manifold bolts. It's a major stuttering/stalling problem at idle for gen 8 Malibu models. See video below.

Reactions: SmallTownDave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update, my mechanic got back to me and couldn't pin point the issue. He reco'd taking to the dealer. I have an appointment next week, couldn't get it in earlier due to restrictions from Covid. Will keep all posted.

I genuinely hope the service dept at the dealer can rectify the issue and not cost an arm and leg.
hello! I am having the same issue of engine turning off and me being stuck in a red light trying to turn it back on until it decides to. By any chance, has your issue been resolved , if so what was the issue. My car has been to 3 mechanics and 2 electricians. I finally decided to take it to the dealership and they are currently checking on it but cannot seem to find anything to it since no codes appearing .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.