Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,604 Posts
WOW!!!

I love pictures like that, but how did you get stars out in the field? Are those lightning bugs?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There were some out there, but I suspect the things you are seeing are camera artifacts. When I look at the raw image at full size, I can see a few pixels that are stuck. The exposure adjustments done to bring out the car probably enhanced those.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,545 Posts
@MadScientist lives up to his name! Super cool picture, almost doesn't look real (I mean that in a complimentary sense, not accusing anything).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@MadScientist lives up to his name! Super cool picture, almost doesn't look real (I mean that in a complimentary sense, not accusing anything).
I understand what you mean. It is all one shot, but the adjustments to bring out the sky a bit more and the car and road more so, give the car a somewhat more metallic look to it than it would have in real life. Fun fact, the lights reflecting off my car are not local lights, they are Jupiter and Saturn, which are in the upper left of the shot.

For those interested, I used a 30 second exposure with the camera set to ISO 1600, and played around in gimp for a few minutes on the raw image to bring things out a little more (I'm no expert on photo manipulation by any stretch). The hardest part is finding dark enough skies to take the shot.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,604 Posts
I don't mean to steal your thunder. Some years back, after our camera club let out, a friend and I saw lightning and chased it down. Here's the best shot of the bunch.

Thanks for sharing the image specs! I seem to no longer have the original image file, but it was between 2010 and 2013. As I recall, it was 8 seconds, f/8, and ISO between 100 and 800.

It's fun doing stuff like that, so I'm sure you had a lot fun doing yours. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.