Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone can help me out, I have 2017 Malibu LT with 27k and have gotten a message on my MFD (Multi Function Display) screen on the dash that said Steering Assist Reduce. I couldn't read any more info on what it completely said because it popped up and dissapeared really quick. It happened twice since I bought it in 2017. Took it in to the dealer both times to have it checked out but there was no fault codes and the they couldn't find anything wrong. I curious if any one had this issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
If anyone can help me out, I have 2017 Malibu LT with 27k and have gotten a message on my MFD (Multi Function Display) screen on the dash that said Steering Assist Reduce. I couldn't read any more info on what it completely said because it popped up and dissapeared really quick. It happened twice since I bought it in 2017. Took it in to the dealer both times to have it checked out but there was no fault codes and the they couldn't find anything wrong. I curious if any one had this issue?
I Got that message 3 times this morning and I saw it last month also on my 2016 Malibu. I'm Calling my Chevy dealership and I reported it to NHTSA.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It popped up again and took it in again this past Saturday 10/07/2019 and again they didn't find anything no codes and no software update needed

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,675 Posts
If you have a hard time communicating with the dealer, show these bulletins and ask for the update to be performed. The relevant bulletin is probably the older one if you aren't actually experiencing a loss of steering assist beyond the message. Several forum members including myself saw that message early on and had the calibration update performed. Pretty easy, no issues since.

2016-2018 Steering Assist Reduced (all engines)
19-NA-182 and 16-NA-200 Source: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165113-9999.pdf or https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10088822-2280.pdf

·
Registered
4 Posts
My car has been displaying the same message. (2017 Malibu LT)
There’s also been a couple occasions when I had the wheel turned in auto stop, it’ll turn back on when I’m trying to go and the steering wheel will shake back and forth while it displays the message. It only happens for a second then everything is fine again.
Has anything like that happend to you? Or is it just the message that displays?
Im hoping they’ll fix it under warranty, I’m at 42,000 miles right now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My car has been displaying the same message. (2017 Malibu LT)
There’s also been a couple occasions when I had the wheel turned in auto stop, it’ll turn back on when I’m trying to go and the steering wheel will shake back and forth while it displays the message. It only happens for a second then everything is fine again.
Has anything like that happend to you? Or is it just the message that displays?
Im hoping they’ll fix it under warranty, I’m at 42,000 miles right now.
I been noticing the jump with the steering wheel in the past few days. It wasn’t till today when it happened I actually caught it displaying the message saying steering assist reduced. All I know so far is that it’s something to do with the computer software.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2017 Chevy Malibu LS 1.5L L4 - Gas

I have been getting this message on my vehicle and now they want me to pay $800 for the repair. I have called GM customer service @ 18002221020, they are reviewing my case now. Maybe if more people report this they will go ahead and recall for this issue. In my case they are saying that I need a new battery and Inverter. Take the time to report your issues to GM.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,675 Posts
@SeanOne - thank you for updating that info. I cleaned up the extra posts. I haven't heard of the inverter and battery replacement fix so far, only the software update and the bulletin above. I had that message pop up a couple times in my first couple months of ownership back in 2016. They did a software update and it hasn't been back in 3 years. There are probably multiple issues in play here so the fix varies by vehicle.

Good luck and again, welcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did not like or trust the service at the first dealership so I went somewhere else for a second opinion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got a call from the dealership. They said that I need to put a good battery in it before they can test any further($400). Everybody else had software update me they try to get more money from. I am beginning to regret purchasing a GM product. The battery is the same one that was in the vehicle when I purchased it 2 years ago. What makes a battery go bad so fast?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,675 Posts
If two different dealers are saying it is a bad battery it might be. $400 is high as the battery (48AGM) is 215 on Amazon and $200 at my GM parts counter... I just called. There hasn't been much reported here about early failure of the 48AGM paired with the 1.5T. Quick search found a couple reports with no cost (or maybe it was warranty) and one for $250. Tons of reports of early failure on the cheaper battery paired with the 2.0 but not much for this one.

I have a hunch the battery is a scapegoat but there is some truth to it. They advise not to program if the battery isn't 100% known stable. I would think if the battery was bad you would have some other symptoms not just this one message that also has a bulletin. Nothing previously stated indicates any issue other than the message... is there any other problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts

When it comes out of auto stop the radio will get low like a brown out and sometimes the doors unlock like the vehicle is off and then it starts back up. That is the same time that I see the message.

·
Registered
351 Posts

When it comes out of auto stop the radio will get low like a brown out and sometimes the doors unlock like the vehicle is off and then it starts back up. That is the same time that I see the message.
If you had listed this info along with your report of the steering message we all would have recommended a battery/charging system check on post #8.

I had the battery replaced under warranty in the first year of owning my ‘16 2LT and I just replaced it just a few months ago so it’s not uncommon on these vehicles to have a short lifespan on the battery.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
2x on today's batteries not holding up. I just had to replace the battery in my '16 Equinox and it's not a auto stop stressed battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have been getting this message on my vehicle and now they want me to pay $800 for the repair. I have called GM customer service @ 18002221020, they are reviewing my case now. Maybe if more people report this they will go ahead and recall for this issue. In my case they are saying that I need a new battery and Inverter. Take the time to report your issues to GM.
I’m getting similar messages and now my car is really tripping at first it said my battery was low in my remote- I changed it the car shut down on me when I came to a complete stop- brought brand new battery bc it didn’t start unless I got a jump off— now the damn car clicks when I push the ignition for 3 minutes then all of a sudden starts off!! No one can answer what is the problem

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,675 Posts
@Lola - create a new discussion, tell us what car you have (year/trim/engine), let us know what messages you previously received and now receive, and what you have tried so far. Also, who is the "no one" that was unable to diagnose? If you provide some information perhaps we will have a suggestion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am at a mechanic now went to auto zone first to see if they can put it on the machine. Hard no. Social distancing. Ok so at the mechanic to see what they say. This never happens on the highway only on the street steering assistance reduced. Everything shuts down and now the doors r unlocking and car takes a few seconds to move. And now horribly the engine light is on terrifying since I do home healthcare and drive for a living . I’ll keep u posted... they look like they don’t have a clue.....

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,195 Posts
I am at a mechanic now went to auto zone first to see if they can put it on the machine. Hard no. Social distancing. Ok so at the mechanic to see what they say. This never happens on the highway only on the street steering assistance reduced. Everything shuts down and now the doors r unlocking and car takes a few seconds to move. And now horribly the engine light is on terrifying since I do home healthcare and drive for a living . I’ll keep u posted... they look like they don’t have a clue.....
Please read this post and provide more information.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts