Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 2018 LT with about 16,000 miles on it. I've had nothing but issues with it since I bought it in July but my most recent issue has to do with a steering assist reduced message. I had it in the shop last week and they told me it was due to the software needing an update, which they did. This morning I got the notification again. I have only noticed this notification pop up when I am stuck sitting in traffic. It almost seems like it could be a sensor misreading something? Has anyone had any experience with this or know what the issue may be? It's going into the shop for another issue tomorrow so I'm going to mention it but I wanted to see if anyone found a solution to this before I go.

Thanks for any advice/help in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Dealer or independent shop? Dealer is more informed.
Original battery? Even if it starts the car, it may be getting weak as your steering is electrically powered and uses a lot of power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A Chevy dealership.

I would bet it's probably the original battery but I'm not sure. I've only had the car about a month. I asked them to check the charging system when it was in last week because I felt the voltage was low and they told me everything was good but I'm not convinced there actually isn't an issue with the battery.

Dealer or independent shop? Dealer is more informed.
Original battery? Even if it starts the car, it may be getting weak as your steering is electrically powered and uses a lot of power.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,245 Posts
The steering assist message can be a glitch fixed with a software update but it can also be one of the first symptoms of a weak battery. In a 2018 I would replace it as it is somewhere between 4-5 years since manufacture. The miles being so low makes me more inclined to change it... that means this vehicle has spent a lot of time discharging.

What other issues have you experienced in this short ownership?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. The "put in park" sensor issue
2. A sensor that measures the amount of oil needed to be replaced because it was reading incorrectly
3. The clunking/popping sound in my rear suspension (getting fixed tomorrow)
4. I had it in for issues with my headlights/the light under my infotainment system (they dim enough that it's very noticeable at night when coming out of auto start/stop) I felt that this was not normal but the dealership said it was.
5. The steering assist message was new last week and I actually just started having an issue with a rushing water sound when I start my car (not consistent but it happened for the second time today).

Everyday it seems to be a new issue. My first Malibu was very good to me, but this one has been nothing but a headache. Luckily it is still under warranty.

The steering assist message can be a glitch fixed with a software update but it can also be one of the first symptoms of a weak battery. In a 2018 I would replace it as it is somewhere between 4-5 years since manufacture. The miles being so low makes me more inclined to change it... that means this vehicle has spent a lot of time discharging.

What other issues have you experienced in this short ownership?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,245 Posts
My first thought was 2018 with only 16,000 and nothing but problems in only two months of ownership, call it a day and trade that back in to save yourself grief later. The previous owner didn't want it and it doesn't seem like a lease considering the timeline... unless it sat unsold for a long time. But still if a lease how did the previous owner not take advantage of the residual considering current prices?

Anyway, if you have warranty alive, probably best to keep at it. The shift to park error is common, unfortunately. The oil level sensor is an odd one. Clunking/popping in rear is probably the knuckle - they might try and add some washers to the top of the shock. Hopefully they skip that and go straight to knuckle. The headlights might get better with a fresh fully charged battery. As for the rushing water sound, that is usually an air pocket in the coolant caused by underfill. Sometimes adding coolant to 1/2" above the tank line fixes it, sometimes you have to drain and fill the entire system. You might notice it entering and exiting an auto stop as well.

Let us know what they find.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts