Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Malibu in and out of the shop for the "service Park Assist" with a DTC code U0420. I was told that it was a known issue caused by the Power Steering Control Module not communicating with the other systems. I was told that this usually happens when the vehicle is remote started. When the vehicle is entered and the start button is pressed, modules that are working during the remote start are trying to communicate with the Power Steering Control Module which has not been active and is not yet online. I was told that GM was working on it and should come out with a software update and that I would be contacted when the update came out. Two years later and no update. how long does it take.
Just wondering if others are having this issue.

·
Super Moderator
1,956 Posts
I see occasional reports of this around here. There is also a bulletin (17-NA-190, June 2017) confirming what your dealer told you, minus the part about "GM is working on it". It isn't impossible but I doubt they are given the time that has passed.

Here is the bulletin noting "NO repairs should be made": http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=200346

GM apparently considers this acceptable.

·
Registered
34 Posts
@campb292 The link references isn't working so here is a pic of the TSB I received September 5, 2018. I am unaware as of yet whether or not there is an update. I noticed your version of 17-NA-190 is as of June 2017 and mine is as of March 21, 2018; I'd imagine the difference is that GM added the 2018 models. So they still believe it to be acceptable. I'll take the car in to the dealer and find out since now GM is repairing the 3rd brake light water leak issue.

·
Super Moderator
1,956 Posts
All of those old revbase links are dead; the revbase/BBB site changed (and is now useless). I tend to get bulletins form my alldata account then link from the nhtsa site since I can't link from alldata.

There are a couple bulletins for the "steering assist reduced message" that sometimes comes with park assist errors. One for the message and actual steering issues and one for just a false message. There are codes that go with each. Good luck with your repairs.

Here they are: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165113-9999.pdf

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just adding 2c more. Hopefully with a little bit of knowledge here and there, people make better decisions and/or fix things as they go along.

Seems like the U0420 is a forever issue at the moment. I love how the correction is: "no repairs should be made". I keep getting this one and it disables my park assist. Sigh. I did personally just wipe the code and I have park assist back now until it get's picky - also of note I don't use the remote start as the TSB states and it still happens; fingers crossed GM one day fixes it before I sell the car (not a threat but say I use the car for 200k miles)

I know people are far more likely to complain when there is a problem rather than rave about something when it's good as well as everything will fail, but I'm thinking moving forward to 1) keep my old, low tech vehicle(s) and 2) not buy a new(er), fully loaded vehicle moving forward. Heard and seen too many things. Also being in auto mfg, I am astounded cars last as long and as well as they do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts