Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all!

I have a 2018 Chevy Malibu LT. Have been the owner of the vehicle for 2 years now and love the car. Havent really had any issues except this past month. Ive noticed, mostly during auto-stop, that the steering wheel kicks back when the car turn back on and displays a quick message of “Steering assist reduced”. It doesn’t occur all the time but is a daily occurrence. I have made an appointment with my dealership regarding this issue. Has anyone encountered this? Is there a service bulleting or recall by NHTSA that I can show the dealership? Last thing I want is to pay $800 for a software update that I shouldn’t be charged for? I am new to this, sorry in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,372 Posts
The steering assist reduced message comes two ways: 1) a message that randomly pops up briefly with no noticeable symptoms and 2) a message that pops up with a noticeable symptom

For 1 there is an update. For 2 you need actual diagnosis. Since you have the steering wheel kick coming out of Auto Stop along with the message, diagnosis seems appropriate. I have seen what you report before and it was a weak battery that needed to be replaced. I can't say that's the issue for sure but it has been in the past.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,372 Posts
I have the same problem right now with my 2016. It just started. Did you get an answer on what it was for you?
It i certainly possible that member returns for an update but unfortunately he hasn't been back since the day of that last post. If you have the same symptoms and the original battery it is almost always the battery getting weak. Multiple members have reported the same symptoms in the last year and every time it was the battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Это точно аккумулятор. В семье 2 машины и у обеих были одинаковые симптомы.

It's definitely a battery. There are 2 cars in the family and both had the same symptoms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts