Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all!

I have a 2018 Chevy Malibu LT. Have been the owner of the vehicle for 2 years now and love the car. Havent really had any issues except this past month. Ive noticed, mostly during auto-stop, that the steering wheel kicks back when the car turn back on and displays a quick message of “Steering assist reduced”. It doesn’t occur all the time but is a daily occurrence. I have made an appointment with my dealership regarding this issue. Has anyone encountered this? Is there a service bulleting or recall by NHTSA that I can show the dealership? Last thing I want is to pay $800 for a software update that I shouldn’t be charged for? I am new to this, sorry in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,246 Posts
The steering assist reduced message comes two ways: 1) a message that randomly pops up briefly with no noticeable symptoms and 2) a message that pops up with a noticeable symptom

For 1 there is an update. For 2 you need actual diagnosis. Since you have the steering wheel kick coming out of Auto Stop along with the message, diagnosis seems appropriate. I have seen what you report before and it was a weak battery that needed to be replaced. I can't say that's the issue for sure but it has been in the past.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.