Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

541 - 552 of 552 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Probably a hub starting to go. I had to change mine in my old '09 around the 100k mile mark.
Hub bearings are a common wear item, had to do them in both my old 'bu and my Tahoe at the 80k to 100k mile mark. Had them fail in a few old Sables I've had in the past also.
Louder sound the faster you go is the sign and sound difference on turning also. More or less weight on the wheel changes load on bearing and affects it's sound.
Replaced the wheel bearing and I think the sound has disappeared. Crossing fingers it lasts...thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
2011 malibu 2.4 liter flex fuel 6 speed automatic transmission. I hear a noise when turning the wheel in front of me when I'm stopped and turn the wheel each direction. Like a clunk but can only hear it with radio off. Thoughts?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,234 Posts
Intermediate shaft.

Sway bar bushing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Update. I can hear it when I am driving slow and turn the wheel a half a turn or more. What else could it be? The steering doesn't feel loose. It's more annoying than anything. Could it be something with the with electric power steering rack?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,234 Posts
Has anyone checked the front suspension thoroughly?

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Here's the bulletin on the intermediate shaft.

Some customers may comment on a clunk noise heard and felt in the steering wheel while driving at slow speeds and turning. The clunk noise may appear to be directly in front of the driver. Hitting a bump while turning can produce the clunk noise. Sometimes the noise may be duplicated when the vehicle is sitting still and the steering wheel is turned 90 degrees in either direction before initially centering the steering wheel.
The clunk noise may be caused by a slip/stick condition between the inner and outer components of the intermediate shaft.
Important
Revised design intermediate shafts went into production in the 2009 model year and are the only design currently available through GMSPO since approximately September 2008. Since any model year vehicle could have had a second design shaft installed, it is critical to identify it before proceeding. The revised design intermediate shafts will NOT tolerate any type of lubricant per the following instructions. Adding lube to the second design shafts will cause a clunk noise in a very short period of time. Use the following pictures to identify which design of shaft you are servicing.

First Design - Bare Steel Tube (Lube OK)
Second Design - Black Painted (DO NOT Lube)
In the unlikely event that the source of the noise is identified as a second design shaft with black painted tube, it must be replaced.

·
Registered
115 Posts
How would you add lube? Is there a spot where it's added? I cant see the spot under the hood. Could you get access to it from underneath? Looking under the hood looks like mine that goes into the steering rack is silver

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Shaft is under the dash, not the hood. Your car is a '11 so probably black shaft.
Reread the bulletin. Black replace, no lube.

541 - 552 of 552 Posts