Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not quite 12k miles and the steering started 'rubbing'. Sounded like rubber rubbing on rubber. Took it in, they replaced intermediate steering shaft- still rubbed. Replaced rack/pinion, power steering unit-she is fixed. Steers easily again. I hadn't noticed it was hard to steer til it was fixed.

Not a good sign w/ not yet 12k miles. Any other steering problems w/ your malibu?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I know gm has had issues with racks in the past. They had a big recall on the j-bodies for a number of years (cavaliers sunfires) and had some issues with the larger cars as well (grand prix, you get the idea)

gm is WELL known for having crappy steering assemblies, wheel bearings, and brakes. lol

·
Registered
489 Posts
I know gm has had issues with racks in the past. They had a big recall on the j-bodies for a number of years (cavaliers sunfires) and had some issues with the larger cars as well (grand prix, you get the idea)

gm is WELL known for having crappy steering assemblies, wheel bearings, and brakes. lol
Yep, it seems that GM's next focus needs to be on suspension/steering. I'm not sure how well the Caddy's/Vettes are, but I know that on my old Grand Am I had the rack and pinion replaced once (needed again when I traded it in) as well as horrible strut mounts. Strut issues were also on my wifes old alero and her "new" Rendezvous. From what it sounds is that the Malibu is starting to suffer from the same issues. While it's not a safety issue it is annoying and makes your car feel like it's a pile of junk hearing the poping/rattling/squeaking, etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm having a weird vibration, but only as I pull out...i.e under 1MPH, when it gets up to
speed it's fine. My dealer tech found nothing wrong, guess I should go back and take him
for a ride in it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm having a weird vibration, but only as I pull out...i.e under 1MPH, when it gets up to
speed it's fine. My dealer tech found nothing wrong, guess I should go back and take him
for a ride in it.
I'd check inner and outer CV joints. Especially inner, and make sure there is no play where they go into tranny as well.

I'm hoping that what I tracked to inner area was just a matter of break-in. It started as intermittant, then started showing up on uphill and downhill inclines, but eventually went away. I can only hope that no serious wear occured.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.