Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forums. I don't have a Malibu, but I have a 2006 G6, with 41200kms on it right now. Recently I'm having some vibration issues.

When I brake from from highway speed, steering starts from around 100km/h, slight vibration, then larger vibration at around 60-50km/h, then vibration damps out. Slight pulsation of the brake pedal at around the same speeds, same intensity variation as well, but very slight. It doesn't seem to happen if I'm braking at low speeds, only highway.

I did some basic diagnostics, rotated the tires and checked the tire pressure, doesn't seem to cut it. My rotors and brake pads are pretty new as well, got a new set on all 4 wheels last Summer.

I've had warped/rusted out rotors in the past, this time doesn't quite feel like the same thing, because my steering vibrates a lot more than my brake pedal, so I'm just a bit worried it might be something more serious.

Any ideas what might be wrong? Thanks.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Do you by chance still have a factory warranty? Maybe you can get it fixed under that.

Did you replace the brakes yourself? Can you take the wheels off and take the pads off and inspect them & the rotors? I wonder if either one of your calipers are sticking. If the slider bars weren't lubed when the rotors/pads were replaced it's possible that one side is sticking. I wouldn't put it past the rotor's being warped again, especially if they're the OEM rotors. If you had a brake shop do the rotors/pads see if they won't do a free inspection. Hope I gave you some decent starting points.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you by chance still have a factory warranty? Maybe you can get it fixed under that.

Did you replace the brakes yourself? Can you take the wheels off and take the pads off and inspect them & the rotors? I wonder if either one of your calipers are sticking. If the slider bars weren't lubed when the rotors/pads were replaced it's possible that one side is sticking. I wouldn't put it past the rotor's being warped again, especially if they're the OEM rotors. If you had a brake shop do the rotors/pads see if they won't do a free inspection. Hope I gave you some decent starting points.
Factory warranty's gone, got the brakes done at a shop last year, have Hawk Ceramics with some OEM-style aftermarket rotors.

I brought my car back to the shop, they're looking into it right now. I'm leaning to think it's rotors myself, but the shop owner said it might be something else, the mechanic said it's rotors too, but they'll look into it. I was just thinking what else could it be if it isn't rotors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, so the shop got back to me, checked my rotors, there is some slight imbalance in the rotors, but it's not the cause. They suspected the intermediate U-shaft, and asked me to send back to the dealer.

Now since I have sent the car back for the bulletins saying this was a problem, is there a slim chance I can get them fixed under "warranty", even though I don't have any left? They already fore-warned me that if I don't fix this under warranty I can look at several hundred, parts alone.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I would say your chances of getting it covered under warranty is slim. The only way it would be covered is if you are barely out of warranty or have complained about this issue before while still under warranty. As far as the bulletins, they won't really help your case. They are more of a guide for the mechanic to a) help with common problems and b) guide on how to fix the problem.

Good luck. Hopefully things go well for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would say your chances of getting it covered under warranty is slim. The only way it would be covered is if you are barely out of warranty or have complained about this issue before while still under warranty. As far as the bulletins, they won't really help your case. They are more of a guide for the mechanic to a) help with common problems and b) guide on how to fix the problem.

Good luck. Hopefully things go well for you.
Actually that is the case. I've had my steering shaft replaced via warranty once, still have the receipt, and some other stuff had been done to the steering as well, abeit the complaint was for something else. It seems as if they made it worse.

Hope I can convince them...

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Who knows they might still cover it, you warranty ended pretty recently.
I had a situation when I reported the issue just before the warranty and it was finally resolved after the warranty was gone. Since you had issues in that area before they might help you out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went back to the dealership since they fixed my steering in the past, turns out it's a bad steering column. It was replaced under goodwill warranty and everything's all good.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.