Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steering wheel moving by itself on I4 (all threads combined here)

96K views 80 replies 26 participants last post by  Chevrolet Customer Svc 
#1 ·
I've had my Malibu for over a year now. Today while driving to work I noticed that the steering felt like it was pulsing when I turned; definitely not normal. When I got to work and put it in park the steering wheel was moving back and forth on its own. I started it back up later and it is still doing the same thing. I'll call the dealer tomorrow but has anyone else had anything like this happen?

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Re: Steering wheel moving by itself

They said it was hunting for center because it couldn't find it for some reason. They wanted to know if it had had an alignment anywhere else. Nobody has ever worked on it other than the dealer. They thought maybe a pothole or something could had done it. I told them I drove it home from work and it was fine and when I left for work the next day it was doing it as soon as I pulled out of the driveway. They re-calibrated the steering and said it should be good. I drove maybe 5 miles or so down the road and it started doing it again. I turned around and went back. They put me in another car and said they'd call me in a day or two. At this point they aren't sure what is going on and said it wasn't a common problem and one they haven't seen before.

Discussion starter · #5 ·

Well I got the car back. They replaced the entire motor and control assembly. I have to admit they got it fixed pretty quick. I guess they have a regional part depot and just pull the parts from there when needed from what they told me. I guess time will tell but I drove it probably 35 miles so far and everything seems good and all back to normal.

Discussion starter · #6 ·

I was checking for complaints on the same problem and it seems that others have had this happen as well. I added my complaint to the NHTSA database since there were others with the same problem. Hopefully this will help them compile some useful data. I worry now after seeing the other complaints that the problem will happen again when I am not under warranty.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/

Search by vehicle and choose steering when it comes to that and you can see others with the same sounding problem. I wonder how many others have gone unreported.

Discussion starter · #13 ·

Mine shook just like in the video. The resetting of the original mechanism didn't work for me either. I turned around and went right back to the dealer when it started doing it again on the way home. I haven't had any more problems since they replaced the entire motor and control assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.