Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,690 Posts
If it's shaking a lot, then I'd suspect tires, wheels, or alignment.

If it's more like a vibration, then that is one of the things that the Gen7 is notorious for. You can find a number of posts on this very subject and there never seems to have been a solution.

·
Premium Member
3,242 Posts
Rotate the fronts to the rear. Being it was way out of alignment and an alignment helped you could have an issue with the tires.
You could have lost a wheel weight also. Get them rebalanced, a shifted belt or other tire issue usually will show up on the balance machine. Should have some warranty on the new tires also.
Rotating the tires will help diagnose it.

• Helpful
Reactions: campb292

·
Registered
66 Posts
Remember, if you feel the shaking more in/on your hands with your hands on the steering wheel, it’s most likely the fronts
If you feel the shaking more in/on your seat it’s most likely the rears.

Rebalancing & rotating will confirm it was/is the tires. If the shaking is still there…..have the front suspension checked closely for loose lower control arm mounts (possible), hubs/front wheel bearings ( doubt it), strut mounts ( doubt it)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Remember, if you feel the shaking more in/on your hands with your hands on the steering wheel, it’s most likely the fronts
If you feel the shaking more in/on your seat it’s most likely the rears.

Rebalancing & rotating will confirm it was/is the tires. If the shaking is still there…..have the front suspension checked closely for loose lower control arm mounts (possible), hubs/front wheel bearings ( doubt it), strut mounts ( doubt it)
Hey thanks I went to the mechanic and he said my engine mount are really bad and that may be the cause of the steering shaking and rattle when the car Start thanks for the help

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Administrator
20,690 Posts
Do a search to find the location of Hunter Engineering's GSP9700 Vibration Control System/Road Force Wheel Balancer near you. You'll find that most new car dealers use them.
... snip ...
Having your tires balanced by one of these machines will eliminate the possibility of them being the source of your vibration and give you the smoothest ride ever - just like new cars.
I can confirm that that is not always the case with the Gen7. My 2011 randomly vibrates at those speeds, and so did my first 2011. (This ride is my second 2011.)

I have had wheels and tires rotated, rebalanced, and even RF balanced.

Nothing has changed it for the better.

7 years ago in 2015, I lowered the car 1.4" using Eibach springs for my 3.6L and I noticed some additional vibration around 20-25 mph, which led me to think that maybe the vibrations are due to small manufacturing tolerances where the CV axles mate with the transmission's splined output shafts. I have never pursued it any further than that. And thankfully it rarely ever vibrates at any speed these days!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi everyone I have a malibu ltz 2012 v6 3.6 and everytime I hit 60mph my steering start to shake any idea what might be it? thanks
That usually rotors and brakes are usually going bad or they are bad and tires also if low tread diff brands or sizes air even can make the car shake to a point n the worse is if it’s the hubs on the car but they make a noise and will feel differently in the steering but get you new set of rotors and brakes should be all good luck

·
Administrator
20,690 Posts
If that's the best input that can be offered, I feel bad for the owner if they follow your advice!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That usually rotors and brakes are usually going bad or they are bad and tires also if low tread diff brands or sizes air even can make the car shake to a point n the worse is if it’s the hubs on the car but they make a noise and will feel differently in the steering but get you new set of rotors and brakes should be all good luck
Hey man the brake and rotor are 1 month old

·
Administrator
20,690 Posts
Translation:
If you replace enough parts, it'll either get better or bankrupt you so you can't afford to drive, and either way, the problem is solved.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,255 Posts
If you follow the parts cannon suggestion you'll also end up with airplane parts on a family sedan.

·
Premium Member
3,242 Posts
Sticking pins, caliper pistons sticking, bad brake hoses or even loose front hub bearings will warp a new rotor. Been there on all of those issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Translation:
If you replace enough parts, it'll either get better or bankrupt you so you can't afford to drive, and either way, the problem is solved.
Not if you test and check them im not telling them to replace all them parts!!! Lol saying to diagnose and double check all , and the brakes too sometimes people forget the shims or grease or they are failing caliber to just got a bad rotor if ordered offline I got ones were off needed to have them cut was cheaper then mailing back n forth but yea don’t throw parts at it check and diagnose ur parts was giving ur the few to start with

1 - 18 of 18 Posts