Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this by saying that so far I love everything about this car! Well, almost everything ...

The steering on my 2LT w/ 2.4L engine is driving me nuts! I'm still trying to figure out exactly what is driving me nuts about it, but it just seems to not want to stay on center. For instance, at highway speeds, it's really a struggle to keep the car in between the lines. It feels like if I take my eyes off of the road for a second, by the time I look back up I've started drifting into the next lane.

It's strange, because it doesn't feel like an alignment problem. It doesn't pull in any one direction in particular. It just seems to not want to center itself. At highway speeds, if I turn the steering wheel an eighth of a turn in a direction, it doesn't just come back to center. The wheel will just stay there.

I feel silly not being able to describe it very well, as I've driven MANY crappy cars over the years with all kinds of front-end problems. That's why I've just kind of attributed it to the electric steering just being different. If this is the case, does anyone else feel the same as me? Is there a way to adjust the steering to make it more accurate?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm kinda with you on your opinion....maybe I'm just used to my old car still but I feel like I'm constantly making course adjustments. I think it might be that the steering is so finely tuned that it's that sensative. I'm sure I'll get used to it but at times it weirds me out.

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
I'm kinda with you on your opinion....maybe I'm just used to my old car still but I feel like I'm constantly making course adjustments. I think it might be that the steering is so finely tuned that it's that sensative. I'm sure I'll get used to it but at times it weirds me out.
I do have a tendency to over-steer, but that's a matter of getting used to the Malibu after driving my pickup.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I do have a tendency to over-steer, but that's a matter of getting used to the Malibu after driving my pickup.
Yeah i think so too. I'm sure I would feel the same with any new car....or maybe my old car was so bad that I thought it was OK...hmm.

·
Registered
112 Posts
According to several test reports the hydraulic power steering solves the issue you reference. Available on LT2 w/ 6cyl and LTz. Perhaps an adjustment can be made to the electronically controlled units.

·
Registered
3 Posts
check the air in your tires, my malibu was drifting on the hiway too.checked the air in the tires mine were at 35 psi. droped pressure down to 30 psi car tracks great now. jack

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
Good point, Jack. Mine were overinflated as well. I've heard the factory does that to eliminate flat spots during shipping and storage. It's the dealerships responsibility to bring the air pressure down to its proper inflation.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My tires (at 30 PSI cold) quickly increase pressure to 31, 32, and 33 while driving (especially while traveling on the freeway). (I enjoy occasionally scrolling through the 'DIC' while driving, and am aware of the tire pressures and their changes.)

I agree with the above comments. My Malibu seems to 'drift' from center also, and I seem to be driving with a more 'corrective grip' on the steering wheel.

Each of the past two days, I drove my 1st and 2nd 'trip' with my Malibu (225 miles each day), and the trip was very comfortable. 'Cruise' about 1/3 of the time (set @ 78 or 79), overall mileage around 28 MPG, relatively quiet, comfortable seating, about 4,300 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, at least I'm not going crazy. I need to get the dealer to fix a part of the window tint that pulled up, so maybe at that time I'll have them take a look at the steering. That's probably the way it's designed, I guess. Hopefully I'll get used to it.

I'm just finding it hard to believe that they got 99% of the things right on this car, with such an attention to detail, but they fumbled the handoff on the steering.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It's funny I ran across this thread. I noticed that if I'm at a stop light, and the steering wheel is on center, if I barely adjust it left or right, it feels likes it's being "electronically tugged" in the wrong direction. I guess it's just the electronic steering assist (but it doesn't do it while I'm driving at speed).

On my road trip, I didn't notice any drifting, but like Pizza Man, I oversteer a lot (like second nature) and sometimes I don't even notice it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I noticed the "drifting" on the highway home from the airport today and my tires had warmed up past 30psi on the DIC readout - I think it's a tire temp issue personally - I constantly have to make minor adjustments in the lane to keep the car centered and the wife thinks I'm drunk!!! I don't want to let too much air out of the tires - any solutions here?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the exact same problem. I noticed that the car doesn't center itself... I don't know if it's because it's new and still a little stiff or what, but i noticed that when you turn the car slightly at highway speeds, it keeps on turning and won't go back to center. I also don't know if it's because of the 4 cylinder or not. I know with the 6 cyl. you get hydraulic steering. Don't know. I just got my car yesterday.. So we'll see - That is the absolulte only complaint I have. Other than that, I love everything, the ride is amazing, and the it's so quiet. Very happy.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I got more highway time with the 'Bu yesterday. I "hovered" my hands on the steering wheel yesterday to see if it tracks straight, and it did for quite a while (almost 1/4 mile). It has seemed to have gotten better with more miles on the car for me.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Maybe the suspension/steering just has to have more of a break in period. When my tires warm they get up to 33-34 psi - normal should be 30 -- does the high psi hurt the car / mpg in anyway?

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
When my tires warm they get up to 33-34 psi - normal should be 30 -- does the high psi hurt the car / mpg in anyway?
PSI increases as the tires warm up is normal. Filling the tires as recommended will take into account the increase in pressure. It is always recommended to adjust tire pressure while the tires are cold.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I really am loving this car more everyday. I'm getting used to the steering; I'm not sure if it's breaking in or I'm just getting used to how it drives. I'm in the phase where I'm washing the car every chance I get ... I am really digging it.

However ... Now I'm starting to notice this weird groaning when I turn the steering wheel at low speeds, like less than 10 mph. It seems like it's gotten louder. It's loud enough now that I can hear it even with the radio turned up. Anybody else notice that?

My tags came in today, so I plan on swinging by sometime in the next day or two and getting them to look at it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I haven't heard any "groaning" and I just passed 1200k - I will listen for it on my drive to work today...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't hear any groaning either. I heard that was a problem in the Aura's.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I thought the groaning was with the power steering pump on the hydraulically equipped V6 cars (Aura's so far- no reliable reports of 'bu's with the problem yet)? The four cylinder cars all use EPS (electric power steering), so if they're groaning, I haven't got a clue what could be causing it. With hydraulic systems, the low engine rpms cause low pump pressure, and can result in groaning when the tires are turned (high resistance at lower speeds).

·
Registered
326 Posts
Could the issue of drifting be that the tires are so new that the little knobbies are causing the problem until they wear down after a few thousand miles?

BTW - I have serious whining/groaning on my Grand Prix steering. It all started when my mechanic did a steering system flush and refill a long time ago. Then I went to the dealer, and they replaced the steering pump, only to make the problem worse. No one can figure out what is causing the whine/groan, and I don't want to spend any more money fixing this problem. When the GP becomes my daughter's car soon, my wife said this will be a good problem to have, because everyone will know she's coming!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.