Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I recently came back from a vacation to find my car stolen from my apartment complex. Thankfully, I used the myChevrolet app and used the locator option and found exactly where it was. It was in an empty lot in a dangerous neighborhood.

when I got the police involved, they had a forensic person swab the entire car inside and out. The entire car reeked of weed.

however, the car itself was in the same condition I left it. I had the keys and no one else had access, so my question is, how easy is it to jumpstart a Gen 8 LTZ with no key fob? There was absolutely no signs of tampering at all. Who ever stole it used some sort of key to have a joy ride in it.
Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Administrator
17,112 Posts
Someone with one of those readers must have gotten close enough to you (distance unknown) to pick up your key fob signal, then duplicated it and let themselves in.

In my mind, it's also possible that they used that same device to capture your key fob signal while it was hanging in your home while you were away.

The benefit to owners is that the car knows when you walk up. The downside is that the key fob is always broadcasting a low-power signal, making it possible for things like this to happen.

I wonder if hanging it in a modified area, one with foil surrounding it and then grounding it to Earth, might help? Just an idea.

·
Super Moderator
4,569 Posts
Someone with one of those readers must have gotten close enough to you (distance unknown) to pick up your key fob signal, then duplicated it and let themselves in.

In my mind, it's also possible that they used that same device to capture your key fob signal while it was hanging in your home while you were away.

The benefit to owners is that the car knows when you walk up. The downside is that the key fob is always broadcasting a low-power signal, making it possible for things like this to happen.

I wonder if hanging it in a modified area, one with foil surrounding it and then grounding it to Earth, might help? Just an idea.
Those devices require you to hit the button and send the lock/unlock signal for someone to duplicate it. That's why it's recommended practice to lock your car by hand when you're parking in a questionable place.

·
Administrator
17,112 Posts
Those devices require you to hit the button and send the lock/unlock signal for someone to duplicate it. That's why it's recommended practice to lock your car by hand when you're parking in a questionable place.
I was assuming that the OP has the type of fob that allows entry to the vehicle without having to press a button.

If it is the kind that does not constantly broadcast, like on my Gen7, then my comments do not apply to this discussion.

I don't know which kind the vehicle uses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts