Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've noticed this odd noise lately in my 2009 3.6L. It may be happening all the time, but I only notice it at a stop while at idle because there isn't engine/road noise to interfere. It's like a cycling noise going on and off, almost like a noisy fan or some plastic on plastic rubbing. I'll here it for a second or two then it goes away for a second or two and that cycle repeats indefinitely. I thought at first it might be the blower fan, but turning that off, on, or different speeds didn't affect anything. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or what this might be?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have heard the same type noise while driving on the highway with the cruise control on. It sounds like something cycling on for 2-3 seconds and then off for 2-3 seconds.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've noticed a similar sound like you are describing but it happens in the morning when you remote start he car. There is a cycling sound but when you put the key in the ignition ane turn it to on it goes away.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For me it definitely exists with the key in the ignition. It sounds mechanical, whatever it is. It cycles on and off and it almost pulsates in power.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes, mine was doing something very similar to what you have described. Mostly at idle, a intermittent humming noise. At first i thought it was the A/C compressor cycling it's clutch because i had my defrost on, but when i turned the fan off it continued making this noise. Not very long after that my engine light came on and had to have the purge solenoid replaced and the noise went away. Was the bad solenoid the root of this noise? not sure, but all i no is the noise is gone.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It could be the radiator fan kicking in at higher temps. These do tend to cycle on and off, sometimes even when the car has been turned off and mostly during idling when there is no air flow to the radiators.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought it might be the fan too, but it's cycling on/off too fast for that. I thought it might also be the a/c compressor, but it happens with the fan off.

I hope it's not the purge valve. I had one of those go on my old car and at the end I could barely fill it up with gas because of the pressure.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mine wasn't the rad fan. I know what that sounds like and that wasn't it. It would make the noise for maybe 2 seconds and stop for about 3 or 4 seconds then the noise for 2 seconds then off for 3 or 4 seconds........ you get the picture.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine wasn't the rad fan. I know what that sounds like and that wasn't it. It would make the noise for maybe 2 seconds and stop for about 3 or 4 seconds then the noise for 2 seconds then off for 3 or 4 seconds........ you get the picture.
Yeah that's exactly it... I wonder why the purge valve would make that noise though... and it sounds like it's from up front. I would think I'd notice the purge valve in mileage, filling up the gas tank, etc., and not a noise. I guess I'll have to see if I ever get a check engine light or notice anything else.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My guess is that the electrical impulses from the ECM was causing the two to three second noise, vibrating the solenoid that was trying to open and close the purge valve. I believe Purge solenoid is located front near the engine on these cars.

·
Banned
810 Posts
I've noticed a similar sound like you are describing but it happens in the morning when you remote start he car. There is a cycling sound but when you put the key in the ignition ane turn it to on it goes away.

I am just wondering if everyone's Malibu does this like 08LTZ has described? My 08 Malibu does the same thing. You can hear some kind of cycling noise. The way it sounds you would think something was wrong like a tooth/spinning wheel is broken/misaligned or something. Just like 08LTZ has said, as soon as you put the key in and turn, the noise stops. Sounds like something with the Remote Start Operation. Maybe this noise is normal, don't know?

·
Banned
810 Posts
I notice some "odd" noises when I use the remote start on the wife's too. My dealer said it is normal.

I had brought this to my dealerships attention when I first bought the car and they said the same thing, it was normal. I thought I would throw this out there and see if there was any TSB or problem that I didn’t know about. If this caught our attention, I am sure it did with others. Anyways thanks for the response, well appreciated. :)

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,179 Posts
I had brought this to my dealerships attention when I first bought the car and they said the same thing, it was normal. I thought I would throw this out there and see if there was any TSB or problem that I didn’t know about. If this caught our attention, I am sure it did with others. Anyways thanks for the response, well appreciated. :)
I just went out and started mine by remote and walked around it, then stuck the key in it and walked around it again.

I didn't notice any unusual noises at any time.

·
CMF Honorary Member
4,326 Posts
I just went out and started mine by remote and walked around it, then stuck the key in it and walked around it again.

I didn't notice any unusual noises at any time.
Ours doesn't always do it, and seems to do it more when hot out. It is not very loud either. In all honestly we hardly use the RS anyway since the range on it sucks.

·
Banned
810 Posts
Ours doesn't always do it, and seems to do it more then hot out. It is not very loud either. In all honestly we hardly use the RS anyway since the range on it sucks.
Same here, it is not too loud but other times it seems to be louder and other times I don't notice it as much. I learned to live with it because as soon as you turn the key it stops. "If you/ANYBODY have to really listen for the noise, then obviously yours is not having this noise issue, because you would hear it right away." I do like the Remote Start feature and use it in the Fall & Winter time and sometimes in the Summer when it is really hot outside. I do agree with the RS range, it lacks in range. I have tried this in some parking lots when shopping! Over all I like the feature very much! I was just wondering if others were experiencing the same noise and if there was a fix for this? Maybe it is just a random 2008 issue? Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hear the same noise on remote start (as 08LTZ). It sounds like the ac compressor is kicking on but I know I have the climate control off and it isn't on auto. But it is only for about 2 seconds. After I put my key in, it is fine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I hear the same noise on remote start (as 08LTZ). It sounds like the ac compressor is kicking on but I know I have the climate control off and it isn't on auto. But it is only for about 2 seconds. After I put my key in, it is fine.
Odd coincidence. I was going to post the same thing in these forums.

I use the remote start and after a few seconds there is a noise that sounds like a fan or AC compressor turned on... and then it goes away.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I am just wondering if everyone's Malibu does this like 08LTZ has described? My 08 Malibu does the same thing. You can hear some kind of cycling noise. The way it sounds you would think something was wrong like a tooth/spinning wheel is broken/misaligned or something. Just like 08LTZ has said, as soon as you put the key in and turn, the noise stops. Sounds like something with the Remote Start Operation. Maybe this noise is normal, don't know?
I am having the same issue.

I tried to record the noise with my camera tonight. My friends describe this noise as "diesel sounding" (to make fun of my car) after the idle drops to 600rpm, to me its more of an annoying "rattle". Once the key is inserted and twisted to "ON," the noise goes away.

It is a nice feature to have, this remote start thinga-ma-jig, but nowadays I try to avoid using it if I take my boss along for a ride... or any of my friends/family. Because the noise created is an embarrassment to Chevy, and GM. The range is good though, it has started at roughly 1,000 feet away (I had a golf scope with me), but I do have to point and aim with the fob.

Here's a synopsis of what is happening in the video:

Time (seconds)-------Action

05 ---------- Car is locked with the key fob
10 ---------- Car starts
10 - 42 ----- Car is idling at about 1,200rpm
42 - 50 ----- Car begins to lower its idle speed from 1,200rpm to 600rpm
50 - 106 ---- Idling at 600rpm, this is when the noise is occurring
105 --------- Car is unlocked using the key fob
111 --------- Key is inserted and twisted to "ON" and the noise goes away

Here's the video link:

Chevy Malibu Remote Start

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,179 Posts
To my ears it sounds like a loose heat shield on the cat or exhaust, or a loose piece inside an exhaust component.

But what throws me is the sound going away when the key turns on. That suggests to me that the electrical load has increased and now causes the charging system to work harder, but that usually makes it "sing" a little rather than stop rattling.

So I'm on the fence, but it sounds very much like a metallic rattle in the exhaust that I've heard on a lot of other cars, mostly foreign.

Thanks for posting the video/audio. It speaks more volumes than you ever could.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.