Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving back from a movie tonight heading home and I hit this MASSIVE pothole that felt much worse then it actually was. However, damage was still done to the rim... :(

I was going 65, not to fast but I was on the highway and man I knew when I hit it, something was going to be wrong. The car still drove fine and actually took the hit well but my Rim has a little bump in it now.

Looks like I am going to have to replace it, it still rides fine but I dont really want to risk it. I am glad I have 18inch tires though, they really help absorb alot of the shock. I just hate the city of Chicago and all the damn potholes it has!! I'm hoping a new rim isn't more then 300 to get.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Hitting a pot hole at 65 and bending a rim is not good :eek: should have the suspension checked out and have an alignment done ;)

·
Registered
749 Posts
Yikes good luck!!

I don't know which rims you have but my standard 2LT V6 rims were $500 each.

When I saw the title of this I knew it was something bad.. I hate cities/states that don't maintain their roads properly.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Actually, those 18" rims mean that the tire has a lower profile so the rim is more easily damaged.

Smaller rims with taller tires absorb more impact before it gets to the rim.

Consider getting that wheel repaired. Much cheaper than a new rim.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm glad down in Florida we don't have potholes...
Although we do have sinkholes... Their slightly worse I think... Seeing as they are usually about 30 feet across and swallow the car. Forget bent rim... Bent frame. Lol

·
Registered
178 Posts
Actually, those 18" rims mean that the tire has a lower profile so the rim is more easily damaged.

Smaller rims with taller tires absorb more impact before it gets to the rim.

Consider getting that wheel repaired. Much cheaper than a new rim.
Agreed 100%

·
Registered
94 Posts
You guys never seen pot holes till you come to Montreal!!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealership said that they could not repair it because it was aluminum, but they did tell me something funny! A new rim would only cost....$800 or so....we both started laughing and they gave me a few numbers to diff locations around the chicago land would be much much cheaper. So I will check those out instead.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Thug, did you see this posted in your thread about LTZ wheels: http://www.hubcaphaven.com/malibu_wheels.htm?

Or even better....There are LTZ rims on eBay going for as low as 89$...A whole set will be less than one 2LT rim from GM. You were looking at swapping them so you might kill two birds with one stone ;)

http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkwZ08Q20malibuQ20rimQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR40QQ_mdoZ

Or just go aftermarket, there's lots of nice designs.....And maybe try and sell the remaining 3 2LT rims on eBay or locally, this will help to offset the loss even more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That sucks...never happened to me, but has to my mom twice each with a car that was less than 2 years old.

you can post a claim to the city for the cost to replace the damage (its up in the air on whether or not you will get the money back and if you do it will be months and months later, but its worth a shot)

also, it seems like it would be worth it to buy all new aftermarket rims and sell the 3 good ones individually to other people in your same boat to help offset the cost.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dealers wont repair rims, its not profitable for them, they dont have the right equipment and there is always some liability concerns. Call a good wheel shop in your aria, if its not to bad Im sure they can put it on a wheel lathe and press it out. Ive seen hard to find and very valuable motorcycle wheels that looked really bad, fixed up like new for less than $200.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Here in Detroit the potholes are enormous. I hit one going 35mph one time (Previous car) and my car went into the air and snapped both my tie-rods and bent the rims on both front tires.

When I bought my Malibu, GM was giving $1000 for warranties and I got the coverage on my wheel and rims...If it ever gets dented, or if I pop my tire on the interstate...They give me one for free :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
^ what he said. I really think people don't know bad roads until you drive around Michigan. We have some streets making the NEWS they're soo bad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I totally agree - but I'm pretty sure Minnesota has the worst potholes. Idiots in our state congress here are far too concerned with giving money to welfare and toy lightrail trains to spend anything on our roads or bridges. Remember just over a year ago when a bridge here fell into the Mississippi...

·
Registered
438 Posts
It's the same in WI. Must be a Midwest State thing. The weather sucks and the politicians spent the money on other useless crap. We have a pothole watch on our news and online for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel newspaper. One area was so bad that people protested and the government had to step in and order repair. Whats more is the repairs are done so poorly that they create a hazard themselves with chunks of tar flying around everywhere.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The last couple years seem to have been worse than usual. The multiple freeze/thaw cycles we've had during the winter really seem to have taken their toll on the roads. This year seems like the worst yet though - I just can't wait for road construction season.

·
Registered
42 Posts
PotHoles are bad here in Oklahoma as well. In Tulsa if you damage your car due to a pothole as you did....then the city will help pay for the damages.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It seems that there are multiple states that all have the worst roads so as you, I will chime in too. I won't be talking about potholes though, I've got a condensed story I'll share about a frost heave.

Three of us in my brothers F-350 Diesel ext cab, long box (sorry, it's not a chevy story), with a Lance camper, and towing a 25' Vnose Snowmobile trailer w/ three sleds inside, a freight sled, and an extra 50 gals of gas in their. The camper in the back overhung the back by two feet so he had a tongue ext to get past the camper.

We were driving 45mph on the Denali Hwy. and hit a frost heave out of the blue but to make matters worse, as we were bouncing badly knowing the trailer was taking a hit, we hit the second frost heave just barely after clearing the first w/ the truck. This created a massive bounce against the trailer and caused the extension tongue to actually bend. This is a stick of two inch solid steel. No damage to the receiver hitch (amazingly) or the trailer but it bent the tongue extension.

So, a bent rim, no, real trucks don't drive w/ low profile tires but I still can't believe how airborne we got over those darned frost heaves and to bend a two inch tongue ext. And no, it wasn't a long ext. either, just a two footer.

Here's a pic of the rig:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.