Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the 3.6 V6 have a timing chain or belt. I'm 99% sure it's chain(s) but can't find any specs to verifiy it.

Help!

·
Registered
512 Posts
It's a timing chain.
According a GM dealer report...

Smaller Pitch Timing Chain
The 3.6L V6 VVT in the Cadillac CTS has a new timing chain with a smaller pitch (7.7 mm compared to 9.5mm previously) and more links. The chain features an inverted tooth design. The smaller links engage at a lower impact speed, which decreases the noise generated. In conjunction with the new chain, the number of teeth on the sprockets is also increased, increasing the meshing frequency and further reducing noise and vibration.

The new timing chain is a running change that will occur in all of GM Powertain’s V6 VVT engines through the course of the 2007 model year.

·
Registered
202 Posts
a little off topic but.....

Timing belts are what keep me away from many of the Honda and Toyota cars. A while back we were looking to buy a used Honda Pilot with 70k miles. However, the owner's manual called for this to be changed at 80k miles ~ Honda Service department said it would cost $675 for the job. I bought a used Buick Rainier with fewer miles, lower price and world class engine that has a timing chain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.