Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 LS Malibu and was just wonder if anyone has installed a sub on there own. I'd much rather do it my self then spend extra money paying somebody.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 Chevy Malibu Maxx LT
18 Posts
Going through this right now...
What are you looking for? Some thump in the trunk or earth rattling, car alarm smashing bass? Same amount of work, Just curious.
But I’ve installed a little box in a friends civic a while back.... he had a ported box made and asked if I’d help carpet it, what a pain in the ass that was.. always carpet then assemble.
But it took a day, case of beer and some smoke-ables.
But the amount of problems you run into it’s better to take it to a shop, plus they can tune your setup with them fancy devices.
Voltage meters and such also... don’t want to ruin your car trying to shake apples out of the neighbours trees

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,774 Posts
The 9th generation Malibu is known to burn out the factory head unit when modifying the stereo. If this happens, it will not be covered by warranty and will be extremely expensive to repair. This electronic system is not like the old days where you can swap things out haphazardly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow sorry completely forgot I asked this question. Thank you for the comments. I've decided not to go the subwoofer route. Does anyone now if swapping the door speakers is a good idea?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow sorry completely forgot I asked this question. Thank you for the comments. I've decided not to go the subwoofer route. Does anyone now if swapping the door speakers is a good idea?

It will sound better.. so ya. You will laugh when you see some stock speakers compared to what’s available.
You will need new speaker harnesses and potentially a little modification depending on what you get but I think you can find some that won’t require any. And with an amplifier it will be a night and day difference ...
Mind you you do have a newer car so I dunno

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts

When I changed the speakers in my old '09 the 6x9 in rear deck had enough bass to vibrate the inside rearview with the stock LS radio. As said when you see the stock junk speakers you'll be surprised. Even my Tahoe w/Bose uses the same junk door speakers. 4 ohm speakers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone have any recommendations for new door speakers? I'm new to the whole audio side of things. Also there is the cut out in the back deck behind the second row for speakers. Is it possible to add 2 more to that area our would it take some heavy modifications to make those work?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does anyone have any recommendations for new door speakers? I'm new to the whole audio side of things. Also there is the cut out in the back deck behind the second row for speakers. Is it possible to add 2 more to that area our would it take some heavy modifications to make those work?

Depends on what you’re going for...
SPL or SQ, your budget... a lot of factors. Always good to walk in to shops and give them a listen ( there’s usually a little demo area) what I may think sounds like trash you may love.
And as for the “cut out” I can only assume you mean like the little area in the back by the glass?? If so ya you can do a bunch. You may already have two 6x9 speakers there hard to visualize... you could snap a picture

1 - 9 of 9 Posts