Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sunshade Rattles like crazy on my new 2009 Malibu. I sent the following email to the company that provides the headliners to GM to see what kind of response I get before taking the vehicle in for warranty work.

"The Grupo Antolin sourced Sunshade for my Sun Roof on my new 2009 Chevy Malibu rattles like crazy. What is your solution to correct this known problem (See various Malibu & G6 Forums), is there a General Motors Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) number you can provide me."

Anyone else have the same issue? What was done to resolve it? :(

I'll post a photo of my 1971 and 2009 Malibu's in the near future. :D

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
I had the issue on my '08 G6 coupe, or more so, it sounded like the hole roof was creaking, rattling, and popping, and after 3 repairs as directed by the GM tech center after the first (tightened sunroof cables...nada, removed and tightened and covered in foam, etc. everything...nope, removed again and re-checked everything and foamed up remaining bits...nope, again.

On the Aura board, as this happened a lot with 2007's, their TSB I believe called out actually replacing the sunshade module with an updated design and 9 times out of 10, did fix it. Now on a handful of '08, '09, etc. ones as well, but not widespread, I don't know if the same potential fix remains possible or just the tighten/foam/check as was done with mine more than once.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My Grand Prix did as well not as crazy as you describe just annoying, this is one of the main reason I didn't want sunroof on my Malibu.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 2011 Malibu and just had the sunshade replaced under warranty after seeing someone on the forum had there's replaced. The put in a much thicker one, and did a excellent job. I'm glad I read the forum for the answers. Thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
Here is what I've observed in my '09 Aura.

If I keep it in the garage (which where it is most of the time) there is not much of a rattle if I keep in the open position.

If I park in the sun for a length of time, then the shade really makes a lot of noise in the open position.

Been like this from day one, but now I have to live with it as I now have 42K miles.

·
Registered
33 Posts
As written above, I had the shade replaced under warranty, and that fixed the rattling sunshade, but I do have a rattle of the sunroof when in the vent position. I found that I close it down a little, and it removes the rattle. I think that it takes all the play out of the mechanism. Cures the rattle, and no big expense.

·
Administrator
16,881 Posts
In my first Gen7, a 2009, I asked the dealer service dudes about the "diving board" sound that the sunroof makes and was told it is normal.

Now that I'm on my third Gen7, and all 3 with a sunroof, I've applied that same method to keep the noise to a minimum: Hit the open button to let it vent, then quickly press and release it 3 times to move it forward and down just a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts