Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would this be possible in a 2.2l 2007 Malibu? Never seen it done but looking for a unique build. Any info would help. Was looking into the ZZP kit but I’m not sure if it would work or what parts I would have to change in order for this to work but if it works on a cobalt I don’t see why it wouldn’t work good for the Malibu as well

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Probably wont work out of the box on your malibu.....you will have to modify some aspect of it. Alll said and done , to do stuff properly its alot of money to do either supercharging or turbo

I got a deal on stuff and it was around 7 to 8 thousand. ... including all the unforeseen stuff you never think about. That on my Camaro. IT was a bit of work getting stuff done....I would think its more of a hassle on the malibu.

There are better cars to start with. You gotta think of the other supporting stuff lilke engine internals can they stand up to the new boost...whats your stock compression? Other things like the driveline as well. Unless you are just running low boost......but why bother spending all the money in the first place

I myself say turbo for because you wont find a kit for supercharging that would make it worth the headache IMO. Lots of other things to consider first thpugh.....cash... what you already have.... what you have for goals.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,690 Posts
When you add a turbo or super charger, you are taking the car from NA (normally aspirated) to FI (forced induction). The standard ECM is designed for NA. To move to FI, you will need an ECM that supports MAPs greater than 1 atmosphere.

And as @Darthz mentions, you also need to consider the engine itself, both the mechanical condition and strength as well as the compression ratio. Spark plugs and timing will need to be changed, and the transmission will need to be beefed up.

It'll be a money pit if you go down that rabbit hole.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,580 Posts
The ecotec performance parts should work, but you'll need to source a heavy duty 4-speed auto and get a complete performance tune. A lot more money than the car is worth.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
When you add a turbo or super charger, you are taking the car from NA (normally aspirated) to FI (forced induction). The standard ECM is designed for NA. To move to FI, you will need an ECM that supports MAPs greater than 1 atmosphere.

And as @Darthz mentions, you also need to consider the engine itself, both the mechanical condition and strength as well as the compression ratio. Spark plugs and timing will need to be changed, and the transmission will need to be beefed up.

It'll be a money pit if you go down that rabbit hole.
Ya forgot to mention that lol. I went with a Megasquirt 2 ecm and a 2 bar MAP sensor.
Even more money lol.... Also a full exhaist upgrade...needs to be freeflowing. Total fuel systsm upgrade...i had to go from 21lb injectors to 50 lb....new fuel pump as well. Unless some of that stuff comes in this kit you mentioned
Driveline upgrades really gona hurt too

Not trying to discourage. ..but like said above alooooot more than the car will be worth

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.