Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day! Looking to grab an XS Power D4800 battery (then update the cabling, then add a second battery in the trunk). Overkill, I know but that's how I roll (lol), Just looking to get a solid and constant 14.4v to the amps that will be in there since I cannot disable the auto-stop.

Question is, anyone used an aftermarket battery in their 1.5's? I had a Duralast Gold from Autozone in my Suburban for about 2 years before it just died. Dealer said the aftermarket battery couldn't hold up to the power requirements of the truck (I know, dealer is going to be solid on AC Delco stuff) and I didn't want to spend $340 on this one before I knew better.

There are other brands of battery but I like these for their performance.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,733 Posts
What you'll want to isolate the two batteries properly is a DC-to-DC charger. Older vehicles that don't use the BCM to control the alternator can get by with a simpler solenoid.

If you were to get an Optima AGM battery, it would cost about $150 less and still deliver 800 CCA. That's what I run in my 2011 as a main battery. When I replaced it after 5 years and having only 350 CCA remaining, I put it in the trunk with an isolation solenoid (above), but it's gonna move over to my 4x4 once I get it situated, so it was the right device for my intended purpose.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What you'll want to isolate the two batteries properly is a DC-to-DC charger. Older vehicles that don't use the BCM to control the alternator can get by with a simpler solenoid.

If you were to get an Optima AGM battery, it would cost about $150 less and still deliver 800 CCA. That's what I run in my 2011 as a main battery. When I replaced it after 5 years and having only 350 CCA remaining, I put it in the trunk with an isolation solenoid (above), but it's gonna move over to my 4x4 once I get it situated, so it was the right device for my intended purpose.
Thanks for the info. I looked at the Optima YellowTop H6 and the cost isn't that much difference (for the OEM replacement battery) at $294.99 (MSRP from Optima, have seen it at $316 at Advanced Auto) vs $329 (Crutchfield) for the XS Power with 150 more CCA and about 5-6 LBS lighter. I'll definitely look into the isolator and see how that will work with the second battery kit that I'm looking at.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
I'm a Odyssey battery person myself. Couple bucks more than Optima but it's a better battery.
Worth it if you going to have the car for a long time.
Just upgraded my home standby generator with one, tired of 3-4 yr failures.
If they don't make the size I need then it's Deka or East Penn made batteries. They other brands are junk.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good day! Looking to grab an XS Power D4800 battery (then update the cabling, then add a second battery in the trunk). Overkill, I know but that's how I roll (lol), Just looking to get a solid and constant 14.4v to the amps that will be in there since I cannot disable the auto-stop.

Question is, anyone used an aftermarket battery in their 1.5's? I had a Duralast Gold from Autozone in my Suburban for about 2 years before it just died. Dealer said the aftermarket battery couldn't hold up to the power requirements of the truck (I know, dealer is going to be solid on AC Delco stuff) and I didn't want to spend $340 on this one before I knew better.

There are other brands of battery but I like these for their performance.
You're gonna have to modify the positive battery terminal by deburring the plastic on the bottom of the terminal to get it to fit right in the positive post get the xs power 580 short post adapters too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're gonna have to modify the positive battery terminal by deburring the plastic on the bottom of the terminal to get it to fit right in the positive post get the xs power 580 short post adapters too.
Thank you! Good info. I don't mind doing mods, just wondering what I was looking at.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts