Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I've been on a journey. Started with a wheel hub going bad. Replaced it, with the tie rod end. Went to get the thing aligned and the place told me the lower control arm bushings were too loose to do an alignment. So I spent the last two weekends replacing those... Still a clunk when going over small bumps... assuming it's the sway bar bushings.

Going to tackle this job this weekend... any suggestions? They are pretty far up in there.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,921 Posts
Sway bar links are also a source of knocking noises in the suspension. Very common wear and tear item, with the car lifted, you can usually reproduce the clunk noise by shaking the wheel or the sway bar link. I recommend using moog replacements.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update for anyone in the future... pretty much impossible to change the bushings at home. There is not enough space between the bushing bracket and frame to even get a socket on the nut. Even if you could, not enough space to get enough torque on the nut. This is a job for a mechanic.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wait. Front? Fronts are easy, a little weird to hit the rear bushing bolt from under and behind but with a ratcheting gear box wrench you can do it.

The rears, FORGETTT it. So rusty they broke off instantly. 3 out if 4 bolts I just cut my bar in half and yanked it out to save time

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
2x ratchetting box wrenches are a need to have tool on todays cars along with impact rated swivel joint sockets IMO

·
Registered
46 Posts
FYI i changed the sway bar end links on my 09' malibu, and i needed to use a box-end wrench, and a torx bit (to hold the nut front spinning). was relatively easy to change on the front..... i did it in an hour after getting the car on stands.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts