Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Chevy dealership ran my 'Bu through an automated car wash after its last service. When I got home, to my horror, swirl marks had debuted all over the car. They aren't severe and are only visible from certain viewing angles, but nevertheless I want them gone.

Any removal procedure will have to wait until the spring but what have you all tried, and how did it work out?

·
Registered
795 Posts
The dealer put them there. I would have the dealer fix the finish.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
The dealer put them there. I would have the dealer fix the finish.
Oy...dealers tend to make such things worse, as they'll tell the detail guy to "buff it".

When the swirls are light, a nice light polish applied properly should get rid of most of them. I'd respond more, but take a look around here and maybe even post...you'll get some awesome responses:

http://www.autopia.org

·
Registered
122 Posts
My dealer did the exact same thing! My Bu was only a couple of weeks old and it comes back from the dealer...swirl marks all over. I went to the body shop manager and they fixed it free of charge. The body shop manager said he didn't understand why the service dept. hires these lazy teenagers to do detailing work. Needless to say, I now request that the service dept. does not do a car wash when they are finished with service.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
My dealer did the exact same thing! My Bu was only a couple of weeks old and it comes back from the dealer...swirl marks all over. I went to the body shop manager and they fixed it free of charge. The body shop manager said he didn't understand why the service dept. hires these lazy teenagers to do detailing work. Needless to say, I now request that the service dept. does not do a car wash when they are finished with service.
Always, always, always do that..."DO NOT WASH THIS CAR, EVER." They mean well, but most dealers don't notice the difference between "clean" and swirling up the paint in the process by how they do it.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Touchless car washes for moi.

·
Registered
8 Posts
the carwash that i take my mali to uses some sort of soft fabric that cleans the car without leaving marks on it. and i do a car wax every three to four months to keep it spotless. specially when my car is white. i also have many products that keep the exterior looking good and shiny. same goes for the interior.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I like the touchless car wash, but it doesn't get all the dirt. Wipe down the car afterwards and the towel will be dirty. Will probably hand wash the car starting in the spring.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use Menzerna polishes and they work great, but you do need a machine to apply them. Doing it by hand just won't work (as it really won't for most defects). Autopia is the place to look, but it can be a little overwhelming for a first-timer.

Right now, I like Menzerna polishes and Werkstatt Prime and Acrylic Jett. I'll top that with P21S carnuba too. This is my first black car in a while, so I might have to play with the combinations of products, but they've always worked well for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.