Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y’all,
I have a 2015 Malibu with the 2.5L motor, and since day one I have used synthetic blend in it. Recently, when I go in to these quick lube shops, they refuse to put anything in it but full synthetic For “liability purposes”. Am I doing this wrong? Will using only synthetic blend really make a difference at this point? I am way past warranty and after 105k everything is still in tip top shape.

·
Super Moderator
4,570 Posts
GM switched to second generation Dexos 1 standards, which is full synthetic. That's why the quick lube shops are weary of using anything else, and it's what you should use as well.

I'm actually impressed your quick lube shops are so discerning. Many of them will pour whatever trash conventional oil they have on hand, slap on a 2 dollar Fram filter and send you on your way.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GM switched to second generation Dexos 1 standards, which is full synthetic. That's why the quick lube shops are weary of using anything else, and it's what you should use as well.

I'm actually impressed your quick lube shops are so discerning. Many of them will pour whatever trash conventional oil they have on hand, slap on a 2 dollar Fram filter and send you on your way.
Most don’t care, but Midas does. My concern is should I make that transition or keep up with the synthetic blend? I have always used Valvoline Max Life which says it is dexos approved.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Your always better off with full synth. . Semi is just that, there is no standard for semi. We assume it's 50/50 but that's not true as it can be only 10% or whatever. You'll never see exactly how much synth. is in the bottle on the bottle no mater what the brand.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
I always felt synthetic blend was the worst of both worlds...and like repairman54 has stated; what is the ratio of synthetic to dino oil?...

watch for sales and rebates and you can find full synthetic oils for cheaper than you can buy blends and if you go to a GM dealership (any of them) following the latest Dexos 1 Generation 2 protocol you will get full synthetic oil with your change...

Good luck with your choice

Bill

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
possibly the reason for the quick change place using full synthetic for liability purposes is that your engine calls for Dexos 1 Generation 2 oil which currently is a full synthetic oil (as mentioned by cp-the-nerd)...

you may put whatever you like in your car but many times when someone else is doing the oil change, they follow the manufacturers specification...

Good luck with your choice

Bill

·
Registered
30 Posts
Full synthetic since I got her at 40k mobil 1 oil and filter have settled as my go to! I have tried different oils like valvoline and penzoil. In all honesty it could just be the car but she burns oil with the other brands barely any oil is lost with Mobil 1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts