Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the first couple oil changes I plan on switching over to a synthetic but am unsure of what I want to use. In the past I used Castrol Syntec in my Dodge Avenger and it has seemed to work well. Then for a period I found the Syntec hard to find so I switched over to Mobil 1. These seemed to work well for me and I chose them mainly because of availability.

Now I need to decide what to use in the Malibu. I have been searching for reviews that aren't sponsored by whatever company makes the oil but haven't really found much. I'm looking for more than because I like it. I'd really like to find some info not paid for by an oil manufacturer. What synthetic oil do you use and why?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I use mobil 1 high mileage synsthetic oil in my 1997 bu. The reason why i like the
synthetic is becuase it has additive in it that benefit the engine and better lubercates the cylinder walls. It seems like ever since I has put this in my car the engine seems to run better and smoother.

·
Registered
67 Posts
For most oil related questions, I refer to www.bobistheoilguy.com

It is the Mecca of motor oil sites.

IMHO, I am avoiding all Mobil 1 products. I used to use Mobil 1 exclusively, but here recently they downgraded their oil's base stock (without getting too techicnal) and just threw in more synthetic additives. On top of that, they inscreased the MSRP price. They are doing the same thing now that they sued Castrol for in 1998. Mobil 1 used to be an elite oil. But now, they are only average compared to others and still command a high price.

Anyrate, I digress. Most of the elite synthetics (Amsoil, Royal Purple, Redline, etc) usually have far better UOAs (used oil analysis) than standard off the shelf synthetics.

·
Registered
135 Posts
amsoil................

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.