Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! Just wondering if anyone is using synthetic oil in their new BU's? I did a search but the search thing is screwy. Anyways, this is my first brand new off the lot car and wanted to know if there was a real difference in synthetic and traditional oils and if anyone is running it in their engines. :confused:

·
Registered
202 Posts
I run synthetics in all my vehicles but I can get it at distributor cost. If I couldn't, I would probably run regular oil and change every 4k or so. With synthetic, I go at least 5k, sometimes 7k depending on the type of driving. Long road trips = longer oil change intervals.

I changed the oil on the Malibu at about 1200 miles. Oil shavings were found in the filter which seems to be very common. I plan on switching to synthetic at 5k miles.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yes, metal shavings are very popular for the first oil change, which was the event on mine. I have read that some people have suffered metal shavings on their second change as well, but no word on the extremity of that or if it is a recurring problem.

Since the majority of 'bu drivers are lazy (Why else get a luxury sedan?) I am sure the dealers do the cleaning and it helps keep the shavings under wraps. Is it common in new cars to have shavings, because I have never heard of such a thing?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I believe it's common in all engines. My '02 Silverado had shavings on the drainplug magnet. My '04 20hp Honda and '05 135 hp Honda outboards also had shavings on the drainplug magnets, as well as the gearcase drainplug magnets.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not having shavings is a problem and you will be seeing it at 70,000 miles so expect it on the first couple changes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
All of todays motor oil is good for 5,000 and synthetic is good for 10,000. I will probably change after 5,000+ miles.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The key is in changing the filters. Synthetic oil by itself should never 'wear out' under any 'normal' conditions but it will eventually pickup the crud that gets into your engine. Simply replacing filters and topping off as needed would be good enough IF you want to kill your warranty - nuf said... Personally I have run V8s on Mobile 1 (since the early 80s) for up to 25k with no appreciable wear and very good mpg improvements using 3k filter changes as mentioned. I'm using it now in the new engine on my Bu, after a PROPER break-in, and will change it often simply to keep the warranty happy (company write-off too). True synthetics are great - blends are, well blended...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Switched over to Synthetic at the 3K mark on my LTZ ;) i do oil changes at 3K/3 mo. but with the Synthetic i'll probably extend the oil changes to 5K, Agree with jester on changing the oil filters if your gonna run Loooong intervals, I get a kick out of reading the posts over at Bob the Oil Guy, some of those people are ANAL on oil changes :rolleyes: one guy does 3 oil changes with the same oil filter :eek:, another does 1 oil change per year :confused:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mobil 1 0-30 in mine now, did it at a little over 1000 miles. Planning on going by the DIC for the change. Run Mobil 1 in all my cars, from a Corvette Z06 to a Honda Civic. The Civic I change when it says to, normally about 7500 miles. The Vette and the truck get changed once a year, because the mileage never gets as high as the daily driver Honda.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.