Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone! I just bought my 2008 Malibu LS (Amber Bronze Metallic) and I'm proud to be a member here in this forum! I have a question? Will the LTZ Taillamps work for the LS? Are they a direct swap? I love the LED lights on the LTZ models!!! thanks everyone!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
not sure, i'll check into it tomorrow

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think it will fit too, are you looking to get the look or can you just replace the bulbs with LED bulbs to get the light output?

Okay, I've seen my taillights on my LTZ. I can't see what is LED about it? It's not like the other LEDs in the marketplace...what am I missing?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Okay, I've seen my taillights on my LTZ. I can't see what is LED about it? It's not like the other LEDs in the marketplace...what am I missing?
When looking at my first LTZ I was expecting a circle of LEDs.
At least the one LED will be long life.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw an LTZ Malibu and I saw the LED(s) blinking! Is it actually the replacement of the bulb or is the whole taillamp LED fitted? The look of it is nice and I would like to get the actual taillamp housing! please, anyone with the an LTZ, could you inspect the taillamp housing and bring back any info!!! thanks! everyone!

·
Registered
135 Posts
the list price on just the lenses is $230 a lens, i think its just a clear lens with an led bulb

·
Registered
13 Posts
Im not sure so correct me if i'm wrong, if a guy were to replace the stock bulb with a LED replacement, thats fine right? As far as amperage is concerned, i know a LED bulb will use less, at least in an AC circuit. So we're not screwing with the circuit much are we?

·
Registered
135 Posts
just make sure they have built in resistors

·
Registered
135 Posts
i'll show you a cheaper way monday, just gotta get the bulb type.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There are several LED replacement bulbs out there, i.e superbrightleds.com has just about anything you could ever want in a LED bulb, like some one else said before you will want a bulb that has a resistor, or whats called a load equalizer in the LED world, I have done many custom LED projects in the past on my 02 S10, 05 trailblazer and now my 07 silverado, nothing yet to the wife’s Malibu, one thing to keep in mind not that big of a deal but I have had problems where I live (Colorado) in the winter when there is snow on the ground and your car kicks it up the LEDs do not generate enough heat to melt the snow off the lens, they are bright even under about 1 1/2 inches of snow just something to think about. Going back to the load equalizer you can also buy this as a separate part and just wire it in line to the bulb, chevy likes to use the lamp outage indicator flasher unit which makes your turn signal flash fast to inform you that a bulb is out, it does this off of amps, so directly replacing a bulb with out any type of load equalizer will cause your turn signal to flash quicker, some people like this but its not my thing. I would guess the bulb is a 3157, but I have not looked yet. just my 2 cents. Good luck post pics if you go with it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
There are several LED replacement bulbs out there, i.e superbrightleds.com has just about anything you could ever want in a LED bulb, like some one else said before you will want a bulb that has a resistor, or whats called a load equalizer in the LED world, I have done many custom LED projects in the past on my 02 S10, 05 trailblazer and now my 07 silverado, nothing yet to the wife’s Malibu, one thing to keep in mind not that big of a deal but I have had problems where I live (Colorado) in the winter when there is snow on the ground and your car kicks it up the LEDs do not generate enough heat to melt the snow off the lens, they are bright even under about 1 1/2 inches of snow just something to think about. Going back to the load equalizer you can also buy this as a separate part and just wire it in line to the bulb, chevy likes to use the lamp outage indicator flasher unit which makes your turn signal flash fast to inform you that a bulb is out, it does this off of amps, so directly replacing a bulb with out any type of load equalizer will cause your turn signal to flash quicker, some people like this but its not my thing. I would guess the bulb is a 3157, but I have not looked yet. just my 2 cents. Good luck post pics if you go with it.
Understanding what you are saying, I wonder however if GM put the resistor in line and it would be just as easy as replacing the bulb....It would definately be something to find out.

Also, I wonder if GM stocks the bulb seperately for LTZ? May save on having to buy the entire housing but you can also pick them up off the internet failry cheap to.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Im not sure so correct me if i'm wrong, if a guy were to replace the stock bulb with a LED replacement, thats fine right? As far as amperage is concerned, i know a LED bulb will use less, at least in an AC circuit. So we're not screwing with the circuit much are we?
If you need to add an equalizer resistor (in parallel) with the LED bulb your not really saving any power because the equalizer resistor just by-passes (and wastes) the extra current (hence the equalizer name). You would still get a plus with the extra long life and ruggedness of the LED bulb.

The LTZ lense over the rear LED is clear. It looks like an extra back up light but the LED shows up red. If you stay with a red lense and just switch over to a red LED you may loose a lot of light output because the color of the lense might not correctly match the color of the LED. This is because LED bulbs put out a much tighter band width of red light. Sounds a bit strange but think about putting two red plastic films over each other, if one is a deep red and the other is an orange red you wind up with a very reduced amount of light getting through the pair because you’re filtering the light by two different band pass colors. You just can't change the laws of physics, (according to Mr. Scott anyway).

DrD

·
Registered
135 Posts
lic plate lights are 192
backup bulbs are 921
stop bulbs are 3157

·
Registered
303 Posts
Wait wait, the LTZ has LED Tail lamps??????

I never knew this!!! im also a HUGE fan of LEDS and have on order like a set of ALL the bulbs to replace the stock ones with LEDS but I loved the US LTZ white tail lights.... they didn't sell them here in Canada I think as I havent seen them so far...

Anyone got a pic of them on????? (curious to see)

·
Registered
27 Posts
The LED is only when you break.

Otherwise, their normal lights.

The breaklights are LED on the LTZ.
no they work for blinker as well the LED i am tryin to find out myself about resistor asking parts guy @ work today and i will try and keep you guys posted

FYI anyone with HID's I am 99.9% sure need to install "smartswitch" harness
for DRL's due to the lower voltage used to ignite Ballast
when i installed in BU did the same way that was in TBSS has friends with flickering problem when DRL's were on and "smartswitch" fixed problems

·
Registered
27 Posts
if you order LTz taillights from dealer they come with resistor for turn signals

·
Registered
303 Posts
I asked my dealer but he told me they will NOT sell the resistor only.... the housings came to about $740 CAN which included part 17,18,19 (housing, resitor, bulb) A little too pricey for my taste. Would rather harrass the guy at clearcorners to make me mine for that price (IF he ever replies....)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.