Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the newer tali lights on the 19/20 Malibu will fit on a 2018? Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’d like to expand this question some. Can the 19/20 LED taillights be a direct replacement/upgrade to a 2017 Lt? I like the new taillight look and would like to buy a set of the new ones since the 19/20 didn’t change the car except for a model refresh I would assume all the dimensions are the same including mounting locations. Since it would cost Chevy a lot to retool just to drill new holes. But I can only assume this, as I don’t have access to a 19/20 to compare. So anyone with more knowledge please chime in here. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@Lzbattle7 I'm guessing by newer tail lights you mean the LED assemblies on the '19-20 LT and Premier. Check out this thread from awhile back--it looks like the LED tail lights are interchangeable with other LED tail lights for the 9th Gen Malibu as long as your car came with LED tails stock. The OP in that post mentioned fit being a little snug, but it seems like it's workable. So, if your '18 is a Premier, you'd probably be able to swap them out, though as this guy never posted about swapping the outer ones, I can't conjecture about those.

@Akuma Following the logic from the above thread I linked, probably not in a plug-and-play sense. If the '19-'20 LEDs have the same connectors as the '16-'18 LEDs, they should fit directly on a car w/ LED tails factory-equipped ('16-'18 Premier, '19-'20 LT/Premier). However, per this thread, the LED housings have different connectors than the halogen lights. I'd assume with a 2017 LT, you're looking at stock incandescent tail lights, which have connector pieces that don't directly accommodate the LED housings. With a little bit of wiring work, you might be able to get them to work though. If you do go that route, it sounds like mounting points are in the same places on the incandescent and LED assemblies, which is a definite plus.

Good luck to ya both!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Lzbattle7 I'm guessing by newer tail lights you mean the LED assemblies on the '19-20 LT and Premier. Check out this thread from awhile back--it looks like the LED tail lights are interchangeable with other LED tail lights for the 9th Gen Malibu as long as your car came with LED tails stock. The OP in that post mentioned fit being a little snug, but it seems like it's workable. So, if your '18 is a Premier, you'd probably be able to swap them out, though as this guy never posted about swapping the outer ones, I can't conjecture about those.

@Akuma Following the logic from the above thread I linked, probably not in a plug-and-play sense. If the '19-'20 LEDs have the same connectors as the '16-'18 LEDs, they should fit directly on a car w/ LED tails factory-equipped ('16-'18 Premier, '19-'20 LT/Premier). However, per this thread, the LED housings have different connectors than the halogen lights. I'd assume with a 2017 LT, you're looking at stock incandescent tail lights, which have connector pieces that don't directly accommodate the LED housings. With a little bit of wiring work, you might be able to get them to work though. If you do go that route, it sounds like mounting points are in the same places on the incandescent and LED assemblies, which is a definite plus.

Good luck to ya both!
Thank you mine is a 18 LT i decided to stick with the stock and just smoke it out a bit to fit the look I was hoping for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts