Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Malibu owners - Talk me into the right Malibu and when I should pull the trigger...

I plan on buying a commuter car for myself and I am pretty sure it will be a Malibu - but I am not sure what trim level and when to actually buy....

Heres my story -
I plan on only keeping the car for 2-3 years and am stuggling if I should buy a LT2 or LS.

I know that there is a big disparity between the two - but here is my thought process.

On the LT2 - the purchase price is going to be +/- 24k and as soon as I drive it off the lot - it will decrease in value by at least 5k. It will come with a lot more features but I dont know if it will be worth much more then the LS in the long run when I trade it or sell it.

On the LS - I am pretty sure I can work a better deal - most likely under 19k for the car - because most of the dealers around me have Plenty of LS's on their lots.

My original thought when buying the car was to buy a bare bones car - because it was going to be strickly a commuter car - but as the more I looked at them - the more I liked all the options the will come with the LT2 - like 6sp - Suede Seats - Aluminum rims - etc.....but my monthly payment will be more then I really wanted to spend on a commuter car.

So now I keep on going back and forth and cant make up my mind.....

The other thing is - the current incentives aren't the best - I probably should have pulled the trigger during the end of 08 inentives...they were better....but I didnt.

So now I dont know what to do - while all the other car manufacturers are doing Employee plus plus......Chevy's incentives have been getting worse.....so I dont know what March will bring.

Help me decide !!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If your just going to keep it for a couple years.........Lease an LTZ and REALLY enjoy the commuter!!
Thought about Leasing...but I will put on 18k to 20k per year....too much for Lease - no ???

I have never leased a car before - dont they only do 12k per year ??

Edit - ok so I am a rookie when it comes to leases - looks like GM does 15k leases - That might be doable for me as I can rotate my Mustang in during the summer months to keep the milage down.

So - next question - are any of you guys leasing your Malibu's - what are the pros & cons ??

·
Registered
749 Posts
I believe they do do 20k mileage.. they can adjust it for you depending on your need...

if you really want to purchase though.. I would suggest just getting the I4 LS if you already have a regular car.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The incentives are very good right now! I believe $2,750. When I bought my Malibu in january, the incentive was $1,250.
Otherwise -- I think you should get the LS given your financial situation. 2-3 years from now, the LT will only be worth $1,000 more than the LS. maybe even less of a difference.

·
Registered
186 Posts
get the LS. you plan on getting strictly a commuter car for a short term so you might as well get the basic trim to save money. Also would you be willing to purchase a used 08 malibu? or maybe even a used 09? you could probably save a little more on a used LS then buying a new LS

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Actually gently used 08 2LT or LTZ may be a good idea. You're looking at 2-3 years of use, so the reliability is not going to be much of an issue either way.
With a new car you will get hit by the depreciation in the hardest way. So, if you let a previous owner take the hit and basically use the money to get a better loaded car .... Actually If I was shopping now I'd be very inclined to get a used 08 regardless of the purpose of the car, trim level, etc.

In regards to this being a commuter car. Not sure I understand entirely. I spend probably 90% of my driving time commuting so heated seats, V6 power and so on are, in fact, enjoyed during my commute most of all :) I would turn this around and say that if it was my weekend car then I wouldn't care much about how loaded it is because I don't drive nearly as much on the weekends.

But, of course, I don't know your situation. If your commute is something like 5 miles....But then, if I were you I'd just get something like a used prev. gen Malibu or any other bargain priced used 2-3 year old vehicle.

PS Watch out for tranny shudder during the testdrive (see more in Dealer Problems section).

·
Registered
112 Posts
if you belong to a creidt union you will get at least another 500.00 off and if you have a gm mastercard you can cash in the pts on a car. you should be abale to get an LS for 16,800 roughly and about 20K for an LT2 and LTZ is going for 22,388 that is 6500 off now. look at these two to get an extimate of what they are going for. www.fitxmall.com www.blaisealexander.com they have the price they are willing to sell it for on the net. remember to subtract aboujt 500.00 if you are in a credit union .

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys - As for my situation - this will be my 4th car in my 'lot' - but will serve me as my daily driver back and forth to work - its an 82 miles round trip. - Getting sick of driving my HD (14mpg) during the winter.

I hear you about buying LT2 or LTZ as I would be spending alot of time in the car - but I cant seem to get past the hit I will take when I trade or sell it in 2-3 years...thats why I was leaning towards the LS. On my Z-71 Tahoe that I just traded in on my wifes Pilot - no one cared about the options and how well I took care of it....I would have got the same $$ if it was a stripper LS ??

I have also considered buying a used one - but I have only found 3 in my area - all 08 LT2's 2 were previous Rental Cars and the other one is a dealer demo - I am considering the demo ..but I will not be able to take advantage of the 0% and my 2300 in GM points.

I guess I need to head to dealer that has both LS & LT2 on thier lot and get a few quotes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Get the LT2, life's too short to be driving a car you are not happy with.

As someone else said, my car gets 90% commuter use. If not for the hearted suede seats and sunroof I would not enjoy the ride nearly as much.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Get something that you will enjoy on the inside. Drive both and see what you like. I wanted a 2LT but got a LTZ just because it was that much nicer and felt better to me.

If keeping it for 2-3 years then the ONLY way to stay on the upside of the cars value is to pay extra on the loan every month and put a nice down payment on it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Go with the 2LT for the better seats over the LS if you're a commuter like me. 60 miles per day round trip on country highways and interstate.

I also shopped the Malibu for a commuter car, and in '09 the perfect model came out: 2.4 four cylinder, 6-speed automatic. My worst tank so far has been 30 mpg, the best tank was 35 mpg. I've averaged 32 this horrible winter. 7700 miles on the car so far.

The 2LT seats are fantastic. I've read in a few car magazine reviews the LS seats leave a lot to be desired. I didn't sit in the LS long enough to find out for myself, but I could definitely feel the difference between the two when I shopped both models.

Good luck!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok - spoke to one of the dealers I have purchased from in the past today and the are doing GMS employee pricing for the rest of this week.

Here is what I was quoted...
Silver 2LT 4 cly w/ sunroof & mats - $26,360
GMS price - $24,213.08
Rebates - 2750
Conquest Cash - 1000
Total - $20,463.08

Now I also received in the mail today - a coupon from GM for an extra $250 off any new or cert used vehicle that can be combined.

So with that I am looking at $20,213.08 - before tax and doc fees.

This if of course not taking the 0% GM financing - Does anyone know about the Pentagon Credit Union ? Someone posted this before and they offer 3.9% for new vehicles - how easy is it to join and how quickly can you get approved and have the $$. This current GMS price plus Rebates is only good through February - before GM March incentives come out.

How does deal sound - should I head there this week ?

Also - has anyone else heard about Conquest cash this month for the Malibu ? I'm not complaining - but it was a nice surprise.

·
Registered
573 Posts
That is pretty damn good deal. I wish we had the 2750 rebate when we bought our LTZ. It was just 1250 then but we still got it for a decent price in my mind.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
This if of course not taking the 0% GM financing - Does anyone know about the Pentagon Credit Union ? Someone posted this before and they offer 3.9% for new vehicles - how easy is it to join and how quickly can you get approved and have the $$. This current GMS price plus Rebates is only good through February - before GM March incentives come out.

How does deal sound - should I head there this week ?
The deal sounds solid, and regarding model, if you can get a new 2LT for essentially $20k after offers...what a deal. You can compare the low financing vs. the rebate, but for your case probably keeping it a few years, it's typically better to take the lowest cash price and then your own financing so at whatever point it is time to move on, you have the most paid down or it is simply paid off quicker.

That also said, I set up Pentagon FCU financing for my mother on her '08 2LT due to their rate and reviews I had heard, and they're great but it's not something you can set up in a day. You have to set up an account online, usually just a savings account with a few bucks in it, then wait for the signature card and other docs to be physically sent to you, fill them out and send back in and then once those are processed, the account is made valid. It is then at this point that you can further go in and apply for loans, which can be done in a single day. But there's, I'd say, at least a 1.5 week delay from first signing up for anything with them to having a valid account from which you can then apply for loans, etc. so it's something you'll have needed to be prepared for earlier on. You also have to join something like the NMFA organization to be a valid PenFed member, unless you qualify in some other military fashion (yourself, family, etc.).

I'd say go for the 2LT because you'll just be happier with the trim and extra features for your commute, and it's at a price point right now that's just great. Check out a few different financing options, online and by asking the dealer what they can get/banks they use, and you should be able to get a pretty low rate on top of the rebates.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I live in CT, and it is really nice to have a remote car starter in the winter. When I'm a few minutes from leaving, I hit it and the car is getting warm by the time I get in. Heated seats are nice too when you're freezing your buns off; they heat up quick. If I were you, I would by a used LT2, let someone else take the resale hit. You could get one with 10k miles or so a lot cheaper than an LS and you'll still probably have some power train warranty left when you sell it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just paid 14,500 for a dark grey 08 LT1 4-banger with 18k miles - looks and still smells new, has the adjustable foot peddles. I though I got a decent deal, a little worried that the balance of the warranty might be kaput if GM folds...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know I am boring you guys with my procrastination about buying a new Malibu - but I didnt have a chance to get to the dealership before the end of February - too busy - but I had a chance to talk to them today and guess what - the deals are worse ? Well not technically - they are better if you currently have a leased vehicle in you household....but I dont. They no longer have the 1000 conquest cash on the table either.

So - I guess I 'worked' myself out of a 1000 bucks by not having the time to get to the dealership......so I just sent an email to my salesperson asking if they could get close to the deal they had last month - seeing that I dont have a leased car - I will come down....lets see what happens.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok guys - I really am trying - I got a quote today from a local dealer that has a leftover 08 LTZ 4cyl - Red Jewel w/sunroof. The sticker is 28265 - they told me 23988.

Thats basically invoice minus the 2750 in rebates....I told them its a leftover and they need to do a little better then that.

I hate playing the dealership game.

I think I need to move to a bigger state the has bigger dealerships.....seems like you guys get better deals with less hassle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.