Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I get a lot questions about about LED headlights. I decided to post my all of my research and save you so much time when purchasing LED headlight bulbs. As of 2020, the best bulb for Gen 9 Chevy Malibu is SV4 LED bulb. These bulbs provide focused beam pattern that reaches much further down the road. This is the only bulb that provides a beam pattern that matches HIDs.
I have had these for more than a year now. There was no overheating or flickering . Everything fits inside the headlight assembly. You do not need to make holes on you headlight dust cover.

20190919_215650.jpg

·
Registered
125 Posts
Awesome write up.

Here is another cheaper option ($65 on Amazon), just a swap with stock bulb, and shouldn't have to worry about any electrical gremlins or battery issues as they meet stock specs.

They don't have the exact same white/blue look of the LED's or HID, but they are a bright white, not yellow like the stock halogens, and light up the road at night like the HID's with the same distance as the stock halogens.

The pic below does not do them justice as the write up above, but IMO they are 10x better than stock, both in appearance and performance at a fraction of the cost, simple installation and worry-free operation. I dealt with those issues on my 2016 Malibu by adding LED's that looked great when they worked or weren't draining my battery. I'm not going through those hassles this time around.

Just another option.
Silvania SilverStar zXe Gold High Performance Halogen Bulb-Bright White Light Output

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,352 Posts
@kman1971

I had those same bulbs in my 2011 and they burned out in a year flat. They're extra bright for a reason, and it's not a good one.

I personally don't recommend them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
@kman1971

I had those same bulbs in my 2011 and they burned out in a year flat. They're extra bright for a reason, and it's not a good one.

I personally don't recommend them.
thanks for the advice... i guess i have a year left....LOL.... Dang, why don't they put factory HID's in these cars to begin with...

·
Administrator
17,352 Posts
thanks for the advice... i guess i have a year left....LOL.... Dang, why don't they put factory HID's in these cars to begin with...
One reason I can think of: it's a Chevy, not a Buick or Caddy. That technology hasn't "trickled down" to the common man's car yet.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,301 Posts
We read of very short life on Silverstars frequently... sometimes months.

The gen9 Malibu was just on the cusp in the design cycle where LEDs started boomin as headlamps. Then with lingering problems GM still goes HID as an alternative in many cars. Cadillac has more LED options but even Buick doesnt necessarily get you upgraded headlights. The failed Regal and even Regal GS have/had halogens.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just look at Chevy's Redline teaser photo from 2018.... those look like hid's to me....and then produce them with yellow halogens...... I'll be trying the SV4 LED's next, and maybe soon from the sound of it.... grrrrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just gotta say I didn't want to deal with the short life of through Silver Stars and they still had a yellow tint next to the LED DRL's, so I took your advice and got the V.4 LED’s.

Popped them in on my lunch break and tested them in the garage and this morning. They are awesome. Visually a match to the DRL's and a huge performance upgrade first function in both beam pattern and lighting up your path both near and far.

I had the Optum LED's in my 2016 Malibu, and although they looked good, the beam pattern and distance visibility was not as good as the stock halogens.

So again, thanks for the advice, I highly recommend these. Great company too, good feedback, great product and packaging, and fast shipping. They even have a newer upgraded model

that have a lifetime warranty for $199, but didn't see them till after I placed my order. These have a 2 year warranty at $169.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
17,352 Posts
You're a lucky guy! My Gen7 takes H11 and H9 (low, high). Of the 6 listed types offered for sale, only 2 are available now and the other 4 have to be pre-ordered! Of course, the H11/H9/H8 (one bulb) has to be pre-ordered.

Thinking it over. I have "decent" LED bulbs now, but based on your description, I just might spring for the GTR bulbs.

Can you get some pics, like the pattern on a wall, plus low and high beam at night? I'd really appreciate it, and it could just push me over the fence to get 'em ordered. TIA!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Check out the pics from the OP above for the V.4's. He has posted what you are looking for and I don't think I can do a better job or justice to the bulbs like Amir did. They cost more than most but the old adage is truer than ever with aftermarket lighting... you get what you pay for.

·
Administrator
17,352 Posts
Much nicer pattern than the Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0 bulbs I'm using, and yet the Morimotos are quite a bit better than the stock halogens or the first set of LEDs I tried. Mine, though, is a reflector-only housing. Yours appears to be a projector housing, which probably assembles and blends the light better than my reflectors do.

Still thinking about it . . . . . .

·
Registered
125 Posts
Agreed. The design of these bulbs matched with the projector lens nails it. I drove last night on dark country roads and used the brights and they are the best auto lights I've had in a car to date and rival my stock HID's in my 2018 Camaro. Well worth the money IMO.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm about to order LED headlights and have been reading and re-reading this thread and the previous threads and I think I'll go with the SV4's. I want to make sure of one thing though. I noticed that there are Supernova V4 and SV.4's from Headlight Revolution. I believe that the Headlight Revolution SV.4's are the ones that are recommended. Is this correct ?

I actually called Headlight Revolution today but was number 52 on the waiting list. So I hope I won't be needing any customer servive.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks. It's nice to hear from other people who have used these so I don't end up buying something that isn't any better than what I have. Did everything fit in the headlight housing without any issues ?

That car looks good. What rims are they ?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts