Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So all of you that got your seals replaced how did you go about it? I have brought the problem to the dealer twice and they won't do anything about it. They keep saying that since there is no TSB they won't do anything because they aren't allowed to.

The second time I even printed pictures from the forum to show them the old vs the new seal. I was getting an oil change done at the same time and while they had the car they took the pictures from the forum that I left in the back seat and came here and read the thread even. They said yeah you just read that on a user forum there is no official TSB yet so there isn't anything we can do.

They keep saying don't worry about it you have a 10 year warranty if it rusts. The whole point is to not let that happen but they don't seem to care cuz there is no TSB.

What would you guys do in my situation? :confused:

·
Registered
201 Posts
try another dealer or call gm customer service. i posted the number somwhere in another post. or just forget about it and enjoy the rest of the car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I told my service dept about problem with seals. Showed him pictures taken by member which illustrates drastic difference between old and new seals.
They ordered 1 door seal by part# member gave as new seal #.
They called me when it came in. The seal was the same as what was on my car.
I apparently did get new seals on my 4/08 built car.

Try another dealer and ask them to do the same.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I told my service dept about problem with seals. Showed him pictures taken by member which illustrates drastic difference between old and new seals.
They ordered 1 door seal by part# member gave as new seal #.
They called me when it came in. The seal was the same as what was on my car.
I apparently did get new seals on my 4/08 built car.

Try another dealer and ask them to do the same.
Are these the correct part numbers?
I copied these from mpoczobut's post.

25947381 - RR DR MOL
25947380 - RR DR MOL
25811538 - x 3 - MOLDING
25811537 - FRT DR MO

·
Registered
37 Posts
Those are the numbers I gave service. He ordered 1 of the front seals so we could compare when it came in. He didn't want to order all doors untill we were sure what seal my car had.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Those are the numbers I gave service. He ordered 1 of the front seals so we could compare when it came in. He didn't want to order all doors untill we were sure what seal my car had.
Thanks
My dealer is willing to change ours, but wanted to be sure he had the new part numbers.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Is this issue limited to the earlier 08's ?

I have an 09 built in July 08. Did they change the seals at some point?

Thanks
It appears they were changed mid year 08. jds54 has the new seals and his build date was 04-08

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
So funny I'm finally stumbling on this after mom originally said, after she had fine tooth comb checked her Malibu after picking it up in January (a late 12/07 build) and asking me "why does it look like the inside of the door jambs are getting scratched by the seals?". Told her it did look like something was rubbing due to tightness, but never thought of anything past then.

Tada...though I doubt our dealer would do much. I'd explain & give pictures and be met with a stare. There's scratching around all 4 jambs and nothing severe, but it's good to know it's an actual issue should anything further happen.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sometime when I get a chance during the day I will have to call GM and see what they say since my dealer has been totally unwilling to help me with this. I'll post back here with what comes of that call.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Schwartz - Be sure to let us know, I am sure once you give the General a call it will get resolved.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I just went outside to see if i had the same problem going on with mine, and I'm glad that the seals are not scratched or rusting. I hope that the dealerships gets this problem resolved QUICKLY!!

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
On my 08 2LT that I picked up yesterday only one of the seals is rough - the driver's door. I guess it was produced at the tail end of the transition process...Not a big deal, will wait till scratches appear and have it done. Probably on the fist oil change.

·
Registered
795 Posts
On my 08 2LT that I picked up yesterday only one of the seals is rough - the driver's door. I guess it was produced at the tail end of the transition process...Not a big deal, will wait till scratches appear and have it done. Probably on the fist oil change.
What is the build date? It should show on the door.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
What is the build date? It should show on the door.
it says 06/08.

Actually it is interesting - it's all rough on the drivers door. On rear passenger door it's smooth except one rough spot, about an inch. Other doors are entirely smooth.

I guess I got right in the middle of the transition :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hello, I'm a bit new here.

I have an 08 LS and it seems to have the smoother seals, but I am noticing the same wear that a user mentioned earlier in some other topic that around the front of the doors there seems to be a white powder-like substance. I can not tell if it is clear coat or not, and it has me concerned. There is not enough damage to bring it to the dealership, as I can only tell the scratches on the paint on the driver's side front door (which could be assumed as dirt on the seals, as well). All the doors have the powder around the front, though. It was made at the Orion, Michigan plant 04/08.

·
Registered
201 Posts
me too, i have the smoother looking seals and still have the rub. i believe i said it before, the smooth ones will eventually do the same thing.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.