Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Malibu LS 2.2. I had to have the o ring on the gas sending unit on the gas tank replaced due to it leaking. I could not afford to put in a new fuel pump right now. The fuel gauge goes to zero usually when i start up and first minute or so. But then goes up to full or a little less a few minutes later.

I'm guessing there's problems with the fuel sensor in the tank or something but is there anything else that could be causing it? I'm at a point where I'm just considering getting rid of it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Getting rid of a nice Malibu for a little gauge problem, patients, these r older machines that need a little TLC. If u had the rubber o ring gasket replaced u should have had them put in a new pump but those pumps last a surprisingly long time and not installing a new pump is not a big deal. Did the gauge problem start after the new gasket install? If so I'm convinced there is an issue with that old pump gauge sending unit. The fact that the gauge is intermittent means it's connected properly so it might very well b the old pump. How many miles on the car? Do other gauges flutter and other strange things occur. If so it's time to take a close look at ur BCM. Somewhat expensive and time consuming so we'll address that later. If ur problem is only the gas gauge then looks to me ur going to have replace the fuel pump. I did it to save $300 and it was not fun but u can do it ....if u want to save money. Go to the local library and check out a shop manual buy lots of rags and expect a face full of under car dirt. Will keep u out of the wife's hair for the whole day though. Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts