Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son-in-law owns a 2015 Malibu with 2.5 Eco-Tec motor. Last month he could not start the vehicle. Won't crank. We read the following trouble shooting codes: P0016, P0017 (Crankshaft Position Camshaft Position Correlation - Bank 1 Sensor A and Bank 1 sensor B) and P0089 (Fuel Pressure Regulator Performance).

The local GM dealer is giving him the song and dance about tearing the engine apart for $500 to search for the problem. I get that it maybe necessary to explore the guts to diagnose the problem. But we have been all over the web and spoke to another dealer and apparently this is the dreaded P0016 and P0017 issue with this engine.

Anyone else have experience with engine repair resulting from these codes? What can we expect? The vehicle has only 36K mileage and otherwise in good condition.

Will appreciate your advice.:serious:

Larry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did a forum search and discovered a few posts on this topic. Sorry... the first search I did found nothing.

Seems that this should be covered under Powertrain warranty. Right?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would bet you need either the Exhaust or intake cam actuator solenoids replaced. If one is bad, the other is probably not far behind and they are cheap and easy to replace. Oem parts are around $40 each, after market parts are waaaay cheaper but use at your own risk.....

Install is easy, they are right on the top of the motor, passenger side. One bolt securing each and a electrical connector. You must remove the plastic engine cover to see them. This a very common failure point on these ecotec motors and will cause a no start or hard start condition as well as reduced performance when they fail.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Make sure you are using Dexos 2 oil for your oil changes. Using cheap walmart oil caused all kinds of problems for me. Went back to dexos 2 and all is well.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
these cars use Dexos 1 Generation 2 now...Dexos 2 is developed for Diesel engine use...the original Dexos 1 was a synthetic blend and the new spec Dexos 1 Gen 2 is full synthetic motor oil...

I don't know what cheap oil you buy at Walmart but as long as the engine oil weight is correct and if under warranty carries the Dexos 1 (Gen 2) label you should be just fine...I buy my Mobil 1 oil from Walmart and it is Dexos 1 Gen 2 approved...

Bill

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,505 Posts
I would bet you need either the Exhaust or intake cam actuator solenoids replaced. If one is bad, the other is probably not far behind and they are cheap and easy to replace. Oem parts are around $40 each, after market parts are waaaay cheaper but use at your own risk.....

Install is easy, they are right on the top of the motor, passenger side. One bolt securing each and a electrical connector. You must remove the plastic engine cover to see them. This a very common failure point on these ecotec motors and will cause a no start or hard start condition as well as reduced performance when they fail.
I don't think you're talking about the right error codes. P0010, P0011, P0013, and P0014 refer to the VVT camshaft actuators going bad, which is a simple and minor repair like you refer to.

From what I can tell, P0016 and P0017 are much worse. Opening the engine could be necessary, but regardless I don't see how this isn't obvious powertrain warranty work on a 2015.

https://autoservicecosts.com/obd2-codes/p0016/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So what was the cause of this problem? let me guess, broken timing chain guide. Repairing mine right now.
Oil related engine failure. Engine seized and engine was replaced. Son-in-law did his own oil changes and it 'appears' that was the cause of the problem according to Chevy dealer. Anyway... that's what he told me. Not covered by warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
IF the failure is really caused by using the wrong engine oil, you would think that GM would be smart enough to put warning labels all over the engine compartment that specify that using any other oil than Dexos will result in catastrophic damage. GM should be much more diligent with this. If you take your car to any oil change place, they dont even check the requirements, they ask YOU what oil you want to put in it. I have found several instances of people using Dexos exclusively for oil changes at a dealership and they still broke the timing chain guides and crashed the heads (see carcomplaints.com). GM as not addressed this design issue properly. It goes back to the 2.2 L they put in the Saturn L series as well. I just replace my timing chain and guides over the weekend. Attached pic is what I found.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts