Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:The headlights on my car are so dim that I worry everytime I drive at night I am going to hit something. Seems that the distance I can see with the low beams are maybe (stressing the maybe part) 20 feet. I try to ride as long as I can with the high beams before someone gets ticked but a change is going to have to happen SOON.

I have read the how hard it is to upgrade the lights but any recommendations are welcome. What kind did you change to and how long did it take.

·
Registered
36 Posts
you have something wrong! My 2009 LT2 light up the road as far as I could want AND light up to the left and the right! I wonder if your lights are stuck on daytime mode? Or need alignment? Take it in and complain because yours definately are not right!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks schwalbach , I will do that. It is good to know that it might be just my car!! I was wondering why GM would put out such poor headlights!! Anyone else have this problem??

Stupid question but the auto feature to the lights... are these also lower than if I switch them all the way on? Maybe mine are lower because I have an "08"????

·
Registered
167 Posts
pwinskey, I do agree that there is a significant difference between the low-beam and high-beam. I am so glad that my LTZ has the foglights, cause it helps quite abit, since I too thought the low-beams were not as bright as I would have expected.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, these lights are very good. You should see the Grand Prix (2000) we have... very very dim.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe the "09" model is better in terms of lighting.

·
Registered
81 Posts
the lighting is ok, but it's a drop off compared to what i've been used to...

the whole hassle of changing out the bulbs is a real downer though, cause you could easily upgrade the lighting with a set of $40 bulbs, but it seems like it's a 3 hour job to change them...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah you would think the changing of a light bulb would be more simple!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
just changing the bulbs to brighter ones is a waste of time imho. If you want to change bulbs might aswell go for HID's since you can get em off ebay for $30 for a kit

·
Registered
18 Posts
:mad:The headlights on my car are so dim that I worry everytime I drive at night I am going to hit something. Seems that the distance I can see with the low beams are maybe (stressing the maybe part) 20 feet. I try to ride as long as I can with the high beams before someone gets ticked but a change is going to have to happen SOON.

I have read the how hard it is to upgrade the lights but any recommendations are welcome. What kind did you change to and how long did it take.
Make sure your headlights are in night mode not daytime running mode! Bill

·
Registered
749 Posts
My '08 2LT headlights work great. Like others have said, it seems like your car might be stuck in DRL mode. You should definitely bring that to your dealership and have them check it out.

·
Registered
795 Posts

Any update ???

·
Registered
472 Posts
If foglights are helping you see at night then there is something wrong with your headlights. The fog lights are aimed low to the ground and do not provide any distance vision as their purpose is to keep reflected light from fog/snow from blinding you. Seeing better 30-100 ft in front of the car is useless and if you are trying to make that area brighter you are focusing in the wrong place. At 60 mph you need to see several hundred ft out. You are traveling at 88 ft/sec and that means you will travel close to 50 ft before you hit the brakes and then the car will take another 120+ ft to stop. If you don't see something until it is within a 100 ft you are going to hit it whether you try to stop or swerve around it.

The headlights on my 08 are fine except they have to be re-aimed to raise the sharp cutoff at the top of the beam. At several hundred ft out I can see somebody's ankles but I can't see their body. There is a horizontal line right across the legs. Below that there is light and above it there is blackness.

Bill

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have to say that these lights have to be the best Ive ever seen in a non HID and projector car. Ive rode in plenty of other cars and this car is easily on par with them. Youve got to remember that ALL manufacturers have to comply to the same lighting standard.

Take it to the dealership. The lights should still be under the bumper to bumper warranty so get it checked out for sure.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I agree that the headlight are bright, but when driving on a dark road at night I do not think that the lights project out far enough. They seem to drop off rather quickly. There is a major difference between the dims and brights on this car...compared to other vehicles I have driven anyways.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i agree. They are quite bright but on really dark roads they dont project too well and i often have to turn on my high beams to light up my way.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts