·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that haven't heard yet, GM is going to drop all Hybrids,

·
Super Moderator
4,577 Posts
Not terribly surprising. The problem with hybrids is at the end of the day what you're buying is a needlessly complicated gasoline-powered car that is lucky if the next generation basic transportation doesn't render it obsolete. And good luck when it breaks down. No offense to hybrid owners.

My wife's 2017 cruze hatchback gets 40+ mpg highway every time without slumming it in the slow lane or using hypermiling techniques. This is a car that starts at under $20,000 and can now be bought used for mid-teens. Next gen compacts--far from the penalty boxes of yore--are looking at 45+ mpg, outclassing many currently sold hybrids in the eyes of highway commuters.

Electric is a truly different type of vehicle. I personally think the environmentalist standpoint is dubious at best and the repair issue remains, but in 10 years you're still filling it up with cheap electricity in your driveway/garage when your neighbor's gasoline car costs $3, $4, $5 per gallon. Electric cars also naturally tend to have good torque and acceleration whereas a lot of hybrids (especially Toyotas) come with a significant penalty in performance.

·
Super Moderator
1,831 Posts
I don't think the margins were good enough for the lower sale volume either. I think the MH is a good value from a consumer standpoint - the MH seemed decently reliable and the driving experience is pleasant. It is just the gap has been narrowing and resulting in lower sales. As cp said, the little 1.4 and 1.5 Turbos can easily get over 40 on the highway. When I take my 1.5T on a longer highway trip and set the cruise to 75mph it always cruises along 40-42 average. The big hangup for me on electric is the range - I don't want a car that is limited to short local/regional trips. If I want to drive 600 miles away I don't want to charge for a ridiculous duration and turn it into a 3 day trip. Not to mention worrying if there will be a supercharger station where I am going. Then there is the oil drilling/refinery powered car vs car running on fracking and coal (maybe 10% windfarm). I dunno, time will tell.

Edit - I also changed the title from hybird to hybrid.

·
Super Moderator
4,577 Posts
There are drawbacks to electric cars for sure, range being the Achilles heel. I'm personally not going to eschew buying an electric car in favor of a hybrid car over range anxiety, I'll just get an affordable non-hybrid option and laugh all the way to the bank.

·
Registered
77 Posts
For those that haven't heard yet, GM is going to drop all Hybrids,
While I love my MH, I can't get out of my mind "when will it break"? That's true of any car, but I think about it more in an EV or Hybrid. EVs have fewer moving parts, but keeping all those batteries working along with the power electronics to drive the motors can be a challenge. I loved my gen1 Volts, but see niggling issues on the forums for the Gen2 and somewhat on Gen1 (but most forums bring out the bad). At times I think I'd just like a simple engine/powertrain, preferably not a turbo, to run for years with less worry about failure. My sister just bought a 2020 Corolla with a 1.8 engine. While it should be reliable and more refined than the previous model, I've been spoiled by driving the Volt and MH. It's hard to accept an ICE only car. I love going down hills knowing I'm recharging the battery. That's the geek in me talking. I also wonder if there is enough lithium/cobalt on the planet to supply the majority of the population with batteries for EVs....not to mention power grid issues. But those technologies can change for the better. I still wish GM had put the Volt's battery pack in the MH. But they didn't ask me.

·
Super Moderator
4,577 Posts
While I love my MH, I can't get out of my mind "when will it break"? That's true of any car, but I think about it more in an EV or Hybrid. EVs have fewer moving parts, but keeping all those batteries working along with the power electronics to drive the motors can be a challenge. I loved my gen1 Volts, but see niggling issues on the forums for the Gen2 and somewhat on Gen1 (but most forums bring out the bad). At times I think I'd just like a simple engine/powertrain, preferably not a turbo, to run for years with less worry about failure. My sister just bought a 2020 Corolla with a 1.8 engine. While it should be reliable and more refined than the previous model, I've been spoiled by driving the Volt and MH. It's hard to accept an ICE only car. I love going down hills knowing I'm recharging the battery. That's the geek in me talking. I also wonder if there is enough lithium/cobalt on the planet to supply the majority of the population with batteries for EVs....not to mention power grid issues. But those technologies can change for the better. I still wish GM had put the Volt's battery pack in the MH. But they didn't ask me.
First gen Volt owners are some of the most satisfied car buyers I've ever met. GM really hit a homerun with that car and it's a crying shame that the consumer market is so biased against American cars that they'd rather buy a Prius 10 to 1 despite it driving like an absolute dog and looking about as ugly as a car can get. I partially blame the liars writing for Consumer Reports who have been incredibly dishonest and inconsistent in their reliability reports to favor Japanese imports.

·
Super Moderator
1,831 Posts
Consumers aren't really buying the Prius anymore either. The sales have really bottomed out the last couple years from their peak in 2012. And yeah, that is one ugly, ugly, ugly car. I never understood why the engineers felt these electric or hybrid cars must be ugly or at least strange looking. The MH actually has/had decent looks and passenger volume. I also see GM has now removed the Hybrid from the 2020 builder system and 2020 ordering guide so I updated the sticky in the general section.

·
Registered
77 Posts
First gen Volt owners are some of the most satisfied car buyers I've ever met. GM really hit a homerun with that car and it's a crying shame that the consumer market is so biased against American cars that they'd rather buy a Prius 10 to 1 despite it driving like an absolute dog and looking about as ugly as a car can get. I partially blame the liars writing for Consumer Reports who have been incredibly dishonest and inconsistent in their reliability reports to favor Japanese imports.
I test drove a Prius in 2012 before buying a Volt. Not impressed in the least. One drive of the Volt and I knew I had to have it. I know what you mean about Consumer Reports. I just read their review of the 2019 Malibu. They had a lot of good things to say, but gave it a low 50 something total score. Glue a Toyota emblem on the car and they would probably rave about it.

I still wonder if I should buy one of the remaining 2019 Volts on the lots. But the comfort of the Malibu is hard to give up even though the Volt might be a little more fun to drive. Or maybe I should wait a few years to see what GM comes up with in a few years.

·
Super Moderator
4,577 Posts
I test drove a Prius in 2012 before buying a Volt. Not impressed in the least. One drive of the Volt and I knew I had to have it. I know what you mean about Consumer Reports. I just read their review of the 2019 Malibu. They had a lot of good things to say, but gave it a low 50 something total score. Glue a Toyota emblem on the car and they would probably rave about it.

I still wonder if I should buy one of the remaining 2019 Volts on the lots. But the comfort of the Malibu is hard to give up even though the Volt might be a little more fun to drive. Or maybe I should wait a few years to see what GM comes up with in a few years.
If you can find a good deal and you like electric cars, you should strongly consider one of the remaining Volts. They should have worked out the reliability kinks at this point in production and with GM giving up on many of its sedan models, the next electric car will likely be a crossover several years from now. Then you'll have to wait for the reliability teething process all over again.

But if you really like your Malibu hybrid, maybe it's better to drive the wheels off it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you can find a good deal and you like electric cars, you should strongly consider one of the remaining Volts. They should have worked out the reliability kinks at this point in production and with GM giving up on many of its sedan models, the next electric car will likely be a crossover several years from now. Then you'll have to wait for the reliability teething process all over again.

But if you really like your Malibu hybrid, maybe it's better to drive the wheels off it.
Good advice! I think I at least owe myself another test drive in the Volt to see how it feels compared to the Malibu.

·
Super Moderator
1,831 Posts
Good advice! I think I at least owe myself another test drive in the Volt to see how it feels compared to the Malibu.
Make sure someone drives you and you sit in the middle rear seat of that Volt. Drive the snot outta that wonderful Malibu Hybrid! It's rare and you have already accomplished a magical feat - attaining one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.