Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a hard decision, I decided to trade the Malibu in. As mentioned in a few other threads, it developed a transmission issue. The dreaded P0601 checksum error. A long story short, it would've cost $1600 to "fix" along with another couple hundred for some front end work that it needs.

The dealer basically said, "Hopefully you're not out of town when it breaks." It did have a lifetime powertrain warranty on it through the dealer, but they won't cover anything unless it breaks completely and even then he said that I may or may not get it covered. I'm really fed up with them as a dealer anyway, ever since they were bought out by another local individual, they just plain suck now. Used to be able to get decent work out of them and it was cheaper than some shade tree mechanics, but that's no longer the case. Not only that, they don't always diagnose everything right the first time, but unfortunately I got confirmation that the transmission problem was indeed a failing TCM and valve body solenoid.

I really did like the car a lot but was never thrilled with the Ecotec. It was decent and impressive for a four cylinder, but I was never truly happy with it. So along with all that, I decided to trade it in for a 2014 Chevy Impala LT Limited. By default it has the LFX 3.6L high feature V6 in it and so far it's been an awesome experience. I actually find myself driving a bit slower with this car for some reason though. But when I do need to get going, I know the power is there.

I tried to get some pictures of it but still not the most decent ones I probably could've taken.

20190908_201318.jpg

Although I'm a bit sad since I put a lot of work into it, I had to do what made sense. But even with that being said, I'm not leaving the community anytime soon. I still have plenty of knowledge to share with the community with my time working on the Malibu. Had I been able to get a decent 7th gen Malibu with a V6, with a sunroof, cocoa/cashmere interior, then I probably would've went with it. Unfortunately, those are very hard to find and the ones that you can find are somewhat high mileage. The Malibu was no longer reliable in its current state and would go into limp mode after a bit of driving and I didn't want to keep paying on something and fully insure something I couldn't drive or rely on anymore until it was fixed.

So here's to new beginnings!

·
Administrator
16,898 Posts
Well, I know it's a sad day for you, since you put so much work into it for sure! I hope this new ride rewards you with many, many miles of enjoyment.

Yeah, and don't go anywhere. We still need our Mods around here and we're not firin' ya!

Eventually, grab some more pics of the inside. I like the one you posted already. It has a nice background to go with it and is well presented.

Any plans for mods, like tint, etc?

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Good luck with the new car. My gen 8 'bu 2.5 has way more power than my old gen 7 2.4 car. I know what you mean with not having a 3.6 but the newer 2.5 with a tune isn't half bad for a 4 banger.

·
Super Moderator
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@campb292 Wow, I can't believe you knew exactly where the picture was taken. You win the internet for the week! Did you take this picture?

Thanks for the wellwishes guys. I'm actually pretty happy with it. I'm not quite sure what sort of mods I'd like to do with it yet but I just re-added the flying Impala logo on the C-pillars on the outside since they deleted them off the limited version so at least it's a real Impala now. Once I get some time, I need to really explore it. I have to fix the rear defrost as I noticed it's not working and I'm not sure if GM fixed it by 2014 or not, but apparently the 8th gen Impalas are extremely notorious of the connector getting burned by the rear window defrost and then it stops working so I'm sure that's probably my issue too, so I'll be looking into it this weekend. Been a busy week so far!

But honestly, driven right, I can get mileage close to what I did with the Malibu and the 4 cylinder. Is it bad that I've driven almost 300 miles with it already? :p:whistle:

I'm definitely staying, no worries there. I'll probably check out the Impala community a bit when I need some information but I prefer to stay with my friends here. I actually had an account on there from long ago when I had my 2005.

This particular place seems to be great for taking pictures, even though it's almost impossible to tell, here's a picture taken of my fiancee and myself.
11831701_979717828725809_4505067465644524383_n.jpg

·
Registered
93 Posts
sorry you had to get rid of the Malibu but I'm sure you will enjoy the impala. Unfortunately if anything like that happens to my Malibu it will also probably suffer the same fate even though it has the things you were looking for in a Malibu but has high mileage.

·
Super Moderator
1,837 Posts
Did you take this picture?
No, that was google maps. It was fresh in my mind as I was just up there to play the well-known golf course just south. 🏌️‍♂️

^--- that is the first use of the forum golf emoji. I am winning the forum.

·
Super Moderator
4,590 Posts
Enjoy your new car! I'm not surprised you get nearly the same fuel economy as your Malibu 2.4L. My old Malibu 3.6L would get over 30 mpg highway in 6th gear, and that Impala has a taller final drive ratio as well as a fancier twice-revised direct injected 3.6L.

People underestimate the value of a balance between extra power and lower effort, a high strung 4-cylinder in a relatively heavy car has to work all the time, a 300 horsepower V6 just loafs around without being particularly wasteful.

·
Super Moderator
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good way to look at it! I just filled up yesterday. I was a bit below a half a tank and I checked the average fuel economy and it was about 28.6mpg which is the combined highway and city driving. So I'm quite impressed with that. But then I use cruise control a lot which also helps since just having your foot rest on the accelerator can reduce your fuel economy considerably. Although sometimes it's hard to resist putting it down just a little bit. :)

I'm really starting to think there was something going on with the computer. Here's why. I ordered some more keyfobs for the Impala since it only came with one and I used my Chinese Tech2 clone and it was solid as a rock. Not only did I program the keyfobs and now they work perfectly, but I also found the afterblow option and enabled it since I'm a huge A/C user. But not once did it have a problem. Even selecting 2013 since that's the highest year it will go to, but it's essentially the same vehicle even though it's a 2014.

With the Malibu however, the Tech2 would constantly complain about things such as loss of communication with the vehicle or possible wrong vehicle selected, when going into certain menus and I believe the powertrain was one of them. I think it's starting to make some sense now as to why it would do that. Both the 14 and 03 Impalas work flawlessly with the Tech2 and even the 86 S10 worked to a degree even though 1992 was the oldest I could select, as long as I selected the 2.8L engine, it would show me everything about it and even check engine light codes. So something was definitely wrong with one of the computers in the Malibu.

Has anyone ever tried to program their own chipped transponder keys? In the manual of the Impala, it has instructions how to do this but I still get a service theft system error while trying to do this. They're Ilco keys and while hunting around, I've seen a clone tool exists. Maybe those keys need to be cloned? I had a key cut at the same hardware store for the Malibu and programmed outside and it worked just fine but maybe it was a different brand of key? I don't even know exactly where it is anymore to find out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts