Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my reservations about this huge change for America's sports car, and the leaked images and camouflaged test cars didn't inspire a lot of confidence in the design, however my doubts were basically set on fire and cast out into the void of history when the new Corvette was officially unveiled last night. Looks like a grand slam sports car to me.

-Base engine is a brand new LT2 6.2L V8 (naturally aspirated) with 495 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque.
-The sole transmission is an 8-speed dual clutch automatic with paddle shifters.
-There are innovative dual trunk spaces front and rear that can hold the same cargo volume as past Corvettes (including golf bags).
-Acceleration 0-60 for the Z51 package (same engine/transmission) is under 3 seconds. :eek:
-Starting price is under $60,000. :eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
489 Posts
I didn't watch last night's reveal but did check out the usual sources this morning (auto rags like Car & Driver, Road & Track, etc.) and am blown away by the styling and the ridiculously low price for a mid-engine car.

From the front and rear it still looks like a Corvette to me even in mid-engine form, that's a great styling feat. My only reservation is the interior 'partition' between the driver/passenger and it's long line of buttons for HVAC and other controls. Will it be hard to find, say, the AC or fan switch while driving? Seems like that'll be the main gripe.

Unlike some of the gripes about the short front-end and going to mid-engine I personally love the proportions of the car. Chevy has a home run here, it's now evolved into an exotic for the masses (um, make that the reasonably well-off masses....). Tadge Juechter and his entire team deserve a a medal from their management for the feat the pulled off.

I hope some of that boldness trickles down quickly to the mass-market products. Chebby desperately needs it, especially with interiors.

·
Super Moderator
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That rear elevated angle shot (third pic) really does manage to scream Corvette somehow, despite literally showing the engine through the glass.

I personally love front-engine rear-drive proportions more than anything, so nothing will beat the C7 proportions with the long hood for me, but I completely understand the switch to mid engine and I applaud the achievement here.

Sub-$60k base price is absolutely blowing my mind. They undercut the price of the 650 horsepower Camaro ZL1 and yet exceeded the straight line performance. That's incredibly bold. Granted, the average transaction price will be over $70k, but even so. Wow.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It's a super cool car 😎 but it just screams Ferrari to me...not bad but just different I was such a fan of the C6 and the c7 got a little futuristic looking for me but over all super cool and the under 60 starting point is really good hopefully doesn't become a "me too" car. This is also coming from a guy who thinks the Buick Roadmaster is a cool car so what do I know. ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a super cool car 😎 but it just screams Ferrari to me...not bad but just different I was such a fan of the C6 and the c7 got a little futuristic looking for me but over all super cool and the under 60 starting point is really good hopefully doesn't become a "me too" car. This is also coming from a guy who thinks the Buick Roadmaster is a cool car so what do I know. ;)
If I have one real criticism, it's that the design could be less derivative of other mid-engine cars by using more Corvette heritage design features. I have no doubt it will be a huge success, though. If this car translates to the real world the way it was presented, it will turn the performance car world upside down.

The idea of an attainable, practical mid-engine sports car with a thoroughly American small block V8 viewed through the back windshield just blows my mind. Even if the exterior design isn't perfect, the spirit of this car is 100% Corvette and 100% American chest thumping brilliance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts