Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Malibu 2LT 3.6L V6 about 2000 miles on new engine since installed in July 2020. 116,120 on body and chassis.
Temp gauge not working. Worked last night. I drive 20 miles to and from work. Temp gauge didn't budge this morning. Engine light is not on. I have heat. Engine sounds fine. I even turned it off and one again when I got to work.
Any ideas??? Thanks guys :)

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,195 Posts
When the engine is warm, touch the upper radiator hose. If it's warm as well, then you're good because it's most likely not the thermostat.

The ECT (engine coolant temp) sensor is easy to get to, but don't do it with the engine hot. If you can't remove the coolant tank cap due to pressure, don't pull the ECT! It's right on top of the engine, between the engine and radiator. It took me less time to change it on mine than it did to remove it from the box and find it.

Mine is a 2011 3.6L that was replaced at 94,ooo miles, and the car now has 147,ooo on it.

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
My understanding is this.

If the engine computer [ECM] does not detect, via the ECT sensor, that the engine is warming up at a reasonable rate, it will do 3 things. Turn on the check engine light, turn the cooling fans on to high and in op the AC. The OP does not mention any of these things. Perhaps the engine is warming up properly and the ECT sensor is feeding the ECM the correct information. If this is the case, there there is nothing wrong other than indication.

I would make sure the engine has the correct amount of coolant, start the engine from cold and wait and watch for engine temp coming up [feel this by hand]. Does the coolant rise slightly in the reservoir? Does the heater put out reasonable heat in a timely manner? If the engine is left running for considerable time, do the cooling fans come on? Momentarily try the AC?
If all these things perform properly, I would say there is no problem other than indication.

A guess might be a bad connection at the Body Control Module BCM. Known for corrosion of the connector pins. Removing and reconnecting the BCM connectors a few times might solve the problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. The engine light did come on over the weekend. Threw P0128 code. Been driving it since. No issues. I have heat and its not crazy engine hot. I think the thermostat it stuck open. Everything sounds fine. Will get it fixed this weekend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts