Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I currently own a 02 Pontiac Sunfire, I don't feel safe driving it because it has 140k City miles on it and driving it on the freeways make me feel like the car is gonna fall apart. The Sunfire also recently started having issues starting where it will take about 3-7 key turns to start the car. This car needs 3 new tires, possibly a engine check to see why the car does not start up on first key turn, and seriously needs new brakes.

I currently went to a Autonation dealership and the only attractive car that caught my eye was a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu LS in a nice Blue. The car was clean inside and out, test drove it and the only issue with it was the steering wheel was not perfectly straight (but I am use to that because my sunfire's wheel isn't either). Engine felt good, smooth, and flooring it adds no stress to the engine since there was no delay with the ac.

The Malibu has 130k Miles on it and selling for 8k (Finance, sold as is). From what I saw from the Malibu, it has very nice aftermarket rims and red aftermarket brakes. It also had 4 brand new tires all 100% trend. I know it has quite a lot of miles but seeing the amount of aftermarket stuff, including a aftermarket radio with bluetooth, and just how clean the car was inside and out makes me believe the last owner took really good care of this car and possibly fixed many issues it had in the past.

With the car at 130k miles and the info I provided, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this is a good deal or not, and if any fellow 7th gen malibu drivers can tell me where they are at in terms of miles with their malibu and the recent maintenance they had on it. I drive 30 miles to get to work so I need something to last. I also want to know how regular I may need to do maintenance.

Thank you in advance.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,197 Posts
Carfax! By and large the Gen7 Malibu (2008-2012) is a pretty decent car with only a few known major issues. Any used car, Malibu or not, has the possibility of being a good buy or something you need to say "goodbye" to. There have been a few members on here who have been so frustrated with the issues they had that they traded out of theirs.

You need to figure out as much as you can, 'cuz after you buy it it's too late unless your state allows some kind of return or the dealership does, which is not likely. Drive it over bumps, take it on a 20-mile highway drive, take it to a mechanic, check all the fuses and wires, pull covers off and inspect it thoroughly.

Even doing all that you may miss something. A used car is a gamble. Period. But you know that. Just use due caution. Also, find some of the other threads similar to yours and read all the comments that have already been made on this topic.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,197 Posts
Thread moved from "General Discussion" area...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.