Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,430 Posts
On earlier models (15-20 years ago), there was an issue with the parking brake cable needing to be secured differently to stop a noise like you describe. I'm not sure that'll be yours, but it's another item that could be investigated if it hasn't been already.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 34k mile 2016 was determined to be due to rear shock isolators. I asked them to inspect the knuckle(s), but parts ordered were rear shock insulators. It is getting worse, and dealer states GM is advising all dealers of this "issue", but not a recall.
Did this problem ever get resolved? Trying to get mine fixed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Along with other problems in my 2016 Malibu LT, I have also had the popping noise from the rear of the vehicle. My vehicle has been to the dealer several times for this problem. Upon inspection, it was determined that the sway bar was broken. They replaced that along with a rear brake boot that they said was making noise. This "fixed" the problem for several days. However, when we took the vehicle on a longer trip we began hearing it again and as time went on it continued to get worse, again. My car was just in the shop yesterday with a different dealer. The mechanic said he had seen this problem on one other vehicle. He replaced a knuckle assembly - said the bushing was making noise. I can't tell you the location of this knuckle and my repair order only says replaced knuckle assembly. There is an FP number 22949386 and description knuckle 5.806 Y.

Maybe this will help someone out.
How were they able to tell it was the bushing making the noise? It seems like when you want to show someone the noise it doesn’t do it. Then a minute later when you drive away it will do it sometimes several times in a row.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2016 has been to the dealership multiple times for this sound, starting in August of 2018. That dealership had my car 3 different times (first 2x they said they couldn't replicate), and the 3rd time they kept it for 6 weeks trying to locate the problem. They ended up following the TSB for a hollow lumber sound and added the washer. The noise was better but still never went away fully. I called the manager several times to schedule additional appointments and never heard back so I've just been living with the noise.

The noise has progressively gotten worse over the last year. The popping noise happens multiple times every minute at low speeds, if I get out of the driver seat, take something out of the trunk, or when I push down on the back of the car with my hand. I'm at just under 75,000 miles now.

I've since moved, so I brought it to my new dealership this past Friday. The service adviser came out and when I pushed down on the car with him there it made the noise loud and clear several times. I waited for 5 hours and they narrowed it down to the knuckle assembly on both sides, and $1,260 to repair ($800 labor + $375 parts + taxes/fees). They also said I would need an alignment after for an additional $117.

The part numbers are 22949387 (right) and 22949386 (left). They have the left one in stock, but the right one is on back order with no scheduled date of when it will be available again. I've checked with over 20 different Chevy dealerships in my area, the only ones that have it are from special orders and they won't sell the part to me. One of them said the part has been on back order for a long time, and that it probably means GM is evaluating if the issue needs to be a recall. A few sites that sell these parts show available stock, but in order for my dealer to warranty the parts, they said I must purchase it through Chevy. Now I'm just waiting to order and see if it will fix the noise..
Did you ever get this resolved?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,221 Posts
@Pamela

As you can see from the posts you have quoted, several others report this noise. The problem is, the noises being reported all have variances in how they are reproduced and the fixes (which sometimes didn't even work) are often different. We have listed between this thread and a couple others rear end thumps, knocks, and rattles - some owners hearing it over bumps, some only at low speed, some only when getting in and out of the car. Some have the sway bar replaced, some shock insulators, some knuckles/bushings, some washers added to the top of the shocks, one user found it was the headrest, one the seat rattled when locked in place. It is just a barrage of different issues with different fixes. It seems based on that you wrote in post #42 one shop said everything was tight (sounds like a hand wiggle and vision inspection) and it was now at another mechanic and they were able to reproduce. Hopefully they figure it out. There are bulletins on rear end noises but the descriptions don't really match what you have describe your noise it isn't over bumps.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same sound here under the same conditions that others here have said. I brought it to the dealer and all they said is they don’t hear anything and didn’t find anything wrong. Brought it to a third party mechanic and they said the same thing. Both times I was charged for their time. So I’ve just learned to deal with it since they didn’t find anything structurally wrong.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same sound here under the same conditions that others here have said. I brought it to the dealer and all they said is they don’t hear anything and didn’t find anything wrong. Brought it to a third party mechanic and they said the same thing. Both times I was charged for their time. So I’ve just learned to deal with it since they didn’t find anything structurally wrong.
I’ve seen several posts online including this forum where the problem appears to be with the rear suspension knuckles. I’m looking into that now.

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts
Reactions: Liqueseous

·
Registered
1 Posts
Along with other problems in my 2016 Malibu LT, I have also had the popping noise from the rear of the vehicle. My vehicle has been to the dealer several times for this problem. Upon inspection, it was determined that the sway bar was broken. They replaced that along with a rear brake boot that they said was making noise. This "fixed" the problem for several days. However, when we took the vehicle on a longer trip we began hearing it again and as time went on it continued to get worse, again. My car was just in the shop yesterday with a different dealer. The mechanic said he had seen this problem on one other vehicle. He replaced a knuckle assembly - said the bushing was making noise. I can't tell you the location of this knuckle and my repair order only says replaced knuckle assembly. There is an FP number 22949386 and description knuckle 5.806 Y.

Maybe this will help someone out.
Same issues with my 16 malibu... the question i have is.. did replacing the knuckles assembly fix the popping sound? I’ve found that it’s seems to be more noticeable and progressive in warmer temperatures.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2016 has been to the dealership multiple times for this sound, starting in August of 2018. That dealership had my car 3 different times (first 2x they said they couldn't replicate), and the 3rd time they kept it for 6 weeks trying to locate the problem. They ended up following the TSB for a hollow lumber sound and added the washer. The noise was better but still never went away fully. I called the manager several times to schedule additional appointments and never heard back so I've just been living with the noise.

The noise has progressively gotten worse over the last year. The popping noise happens multiple times every minute at low speeds, if I get out of the driver seat, take something out of the trunk, or when I push down on the back of the car with my hand. I'm at just under 75,000 miles now.

I've since moved, so I brought it to my new dealership this past Friday. The service adviser came out and when I pushed down on the car with him there it made the noise loud and clear several times. I waited for 5 hours and they narrowed it down to the knuckle assembly on both sides, and $1,260 to repair ($800 labor + $375 parts + taxes/fees). They also said I would need an alignment after for an additional $117.

The part numbers are 22949387 (right) and 22949386 (left). They have the left one in stock, but the right one is on back order with no scheduled date of when it will be available again. I've checked with over 20 different Chevy dealerships in my area, the only ones that have it are from special orders and they won't sell the part to me. One of them said the part has been on back order for a long time, and that it probably means GM is evaluating if the issue needs to be a recall. A few sites that sell these parts show available stock, but in order for my dealer to warranty the parts, they said I must purchase it through Chevy. Now I'm just waiting to order and see if it will fix the noise..

Update - the knuckle parts did come in about a month ago, and replacing them did resolve the popping noise.

·
Banned
139 Posts
I had my 2017 Premier rear Shocks replaced under warranty 2 weeks ago, as I had a noise on smaller-ish cracks and bumps in the street made annoying noises,/rattling, also the Shocks themselves were sqeeking….Anyway now, I have super loud noises coming from the rear-end....So I took out everything from my trunk, including the carpet and insulation and tire-inflator kit to magnify the noise,,,and its super loud now, im going to bring it to the dealer like this AND put the rear-seats down to amplify the noise even more!! there will be no denying it for the Tech! I am still under B2B warranty... ill report back in about a week...

·
Banned
139 Posts
Ok Dealer has car for 5 days and here are the notes:
Concern:"customer says rattaling type noise coming from rear end"
Correction: "removed the left rear upper lateral link from vehical and reinstalled and Torqued down to 118ft pounds with a 100degree pass, test drove, noise gone"

So far so good..

I don't know what they mean by lateral link, anybody know?

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts
I would guess the stabilizer links that connect to the bar. Could be a radius rod which is higher. It can be hard to tell on those notes as they don't always use the technical term and if no part is replaced you got nothin'. When they replaced one of my failed LED DRLs they wrote it up as a fog light. They also wrote up my front active shutters as "flapper doors" once.

Sounds like you've been through a case of one noise leading to another noise. Glad your dealer is figured (or is figuring) it out! Many won't do much for suspension noises. Good deal.

·
Banned
139 Posts
Ya it was SUPER bad... Now I still have in issue with a noise when going at very very slow speed, coming from the upper shock mounts still. I showed the shop foreman where the noise is coming from and they still didn't fix it. Basicly there is upper and lower rubber Shock isolator, and the top of the shock goes through and the nut threads on squeezing it all together,,,well when the shock moves up and down, ever so slightly it makes noise in this area....I can see what there solution was, Was to take off the three mounting bolts off for the upper shock mount , then put some sort of copper anti-seize behind the mount, then bolt it back it back on...It did nothing....

·
Banned
139 Posts
I even gave him the TSB that shows how to put a washer under the lower rubber isolator and they didn't do it... Im thinking that has to be the solution to the problem..I tried to tighten the top shock nut down a little, but it budged.. You actually have to hold the top of the shock with a vice grip to keep it from moving and then use an open end to move the nut...

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts
Argh. Is the washer thing the "loose lumber noise" TSB? I think in that one they add one washer to each side then test then a second then replace the knuckle if necessary. Wonder if you are heading that way.

Edit: For anyone wondering about the loose lumber tsb, it's here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10160117-9999.pdf

·
Registered
149 Posts
I started to get this at the start of 60K miles (70,3xx at the time of this post) and I think I have narrowed it down. When its 75-80F or hotter its very noticeable but when it cools down at night it goes away. This current winter here in California I haven't heard it until the last few days its been warming up again. I've asked the dealer to see if they can unbolt the rear sway bar and grease the bushings with lithium grease or equivalent solution with my next service.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My malibu have the same behavior, clunk and noisy when is hot and quiet in the cold night

Enviado desde mi E6853 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anyone noticed any suspension noise in their back end? When I go over bumps slow (1-10 mph) I hear a little thump in the rear. In checking it out i noticed if i wiggle in the driver's seat I hear the same thumping or clunking in the back (car off).
[/QU
Has anyone noticed any suspension noise in their back end? When I go over bumps slow (1-10 mph) I hear a little thump in the rear. In checking it out i noticed if i wiggle in the driver's seat I hear the same thumping or clunking in the back (car off).
Mine has that noise and the dealer has replaced parts in the rear end and the noise is still there.Ordering shocks for it now,hopefully that will help.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.