Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine also has the thump or pop noise in the back. Only when you gently take off or slow. Like someone else said when I get out, I can nudge it, and it will make the noise once, after that you can shake the whole car and it won't it.
Needing some help on mine I have a 2017 Chevy Malibu I bought it brand new and has a little over 71,000 miles on it about a year ago I heard a popping noise in the rear of the vehicle I can set in the vehicle nothing on and it pops not doesn't do it all the time also when I back up it starts to pop a little bit or when I go forward it starts to pop in a little bit they replaced or they actually repaired the space between the struts and the top of the car is it was too much space that's why the car was popping but as soon as I paid got in the car it started popping what are your opinions on this noise

·
Registered
12 Posts
Needing some help on mine I have a 2017 Chevy Malibu I bought it brand new and has a little over 71,000 miles on it about a year ago I heard a popping noise in the rear of the vehicle I can set in the vehicle nothing on and it pops not doesn't do it all the time also when I back up it starts to pop a little bit or when I go forward it starts to pop in a little bit they replaced or they actually repaired the space between the struts and the top of the car is it was too much space that's why the car was popping but as soon as I paid got in the car it started popping what are your opinions on this noise
My dealer replaced everything in the rear part by part until they replaced something called a knuckle,it took 6 months but the noise has been gone for over 4K miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So did you get this resolved? I have the exact same issue. Car seems to make a popping noise in the rear end when the weight settles in the rear. Noticeable right before coming to a full stop and when taking off from a full stop. I can also hear it as I exit the vehicle sometimes.
Definitely coming from the rear of the cab. Not as noticeable over bumps unless I'm going slower than 3-4mph.

Anyone had any luck?
Have we found anything that is causing the popping in the rear of the 2017 chevy Malibu Lt. I took it to a mechanic they but spacers above my shocks to close the gap. As soon as I got in the car from when he fixed it it popped it pops when I back up go forward I noticed it when I sit in the car or when I get out of the car it pops in the back they said my struts in my shocks are good sway bar link not the problem they are thinking possibly a wheel bearing is popping I have never heard of the wheel bearing popping so if any of you guys can help me out PLEASE!!

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,430 Posts
They can use chassis ears if they really wanna find the source of the noise, but then you're gonna pay for the service, as expected.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is a service bulletin #18-NA-136 that calls for washers put on the shock mount rubber bushings. I believe that is to fix a popping or thumping noise in the rear. Just a thought.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have noticed this in my '17 with 48k miles on it. When accelerating from a stop, and getting into the car i hear a clunk sound. I'm guessing mine is probably the rear knuckles. I will have to keep this in mine and check them next time I have the back end off the ground.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ugh. Just bought a used 2016 and started noticing this issue. Seems to be prevalent for this model year. I did purchase the extended warranty so hopefully this will be covered. I really don't feel like spending $1,000 after just buying the car. I wonder if this is mostly a nuisance or something that I should get replaced ASAP.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have had this issue on my 2017 Malibu. My complaint is the road noise. Sounds like a loud roar in the back end of the car. A very noisy ride. Bought it brand new and don't recall it being this loud. Anyone else feel their car is loud or have some suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,221 Posts
I too have had this issue on my 2017 Malibu. My complaint is the road noise. Sounds like a loud roar in the back end of the car. A very noisy ride. Bought it brand new and don't recall it being this loud. Anyone else feel their car is loud or have some suggestions?
There has been a lot of discussion of noisy rear amongst gen9 owners. Try using the forum advanced search and search road noise and excessive road noise filtering for gen9. There has been a slow evolution of thoughts and most settle on several factors: Tires, reduced and even missing insulation, road surface such as chip seal, super quiet front creating emphasis on the louder rear.

Since you haven't noticed it for several years, it is also possible there is a mechanical issue. Of course check hubs/wheel bearings. This forum has seen exactly zero reports of bearing failure on gen9 cars and many owners are nearing or over 100k now. You could always be the first?

Reactions: 17malibu

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issues with my 2016 Malibu Premier (45k miles). A clunk sound started a few months ago, and wouldn't happen often enough for the GM service center to catch it. It is getting worse now, especially in the last few weeks - as we get in or out of it, smallest bumps at slow speeds, when reversing (occasionally). I took it to a mechanic today, and he didn't find anything wrong. He greased the rear control arm, and said the noise stopped for him, and if it started doing it again, he suggests that I get the rear control arm replaced. Got home, noise is still there. Could this be the solution, or would it be better to take to a GM service center? Any help would be appreciated!

·
Administrator
19,430 Posts
I'm having the same issues with my 2016 Malibu Premier (45k miles). A clunk sound started a few months ago, and wouldn't happen often enough for the GM service center to catch it. It is getting worse now, especially in the last few weeks - as we get in or out of it, smallest bumps at slow speeds, when reversing (occasionally). I took it to a mechanic today, and he didn't find anything wrong. He greased the rear control arm, and said the noise stopped for him, and if it started doing it again, he suggests that I get the rear control arm replaced. Got home, noise is still there. Could this be the solution, or would it be better to take to a GM service center? Any help would be appreciated!
If you can duplicate the noise, then make an appointment with your dealer and have the service tech who's gonna fix it, ride with you while you duplicate it, and then ask him/her to swap seats to be sure they can duplicate it as well. Once they can, it's up to them to find it and fix it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought a 2018 lt and I started noticing this sound. Haven’t took it anywhere to get looked at but I searched on google and this page came up. Makes that clunky sound when someone gets out car and sometime when I start reversing. Hmmm. I thought something was moving around in my trunk or a shock or something. Guess not. Needs to be a recall.

·
Administrator
19,430 Posts
Bought a 2018 lt and I started noticing this sound. Haven’t took it anywhere to get looked at but I searched on google and this page came up. Makes that clunky sound when someone gets out car and sometime when I start reversing. Hmmm. I thought something was moving around in my trunk or a shock or something. Guess not. Needs to be a recall.
It seems that "Needs to be a recall." is the answer to everything. Not! A recall is for life-threatening issues, and may include other less serious issues as well. Noises only threaten your sanity.

When there are noises, there are reasons for those noises. You'll have to "took it somewhere to get looked at" because, unfortunately, you won't find the answers to everything on the internet. Oftentimes, effort on your part is required, and this is another one of them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My question is have they come out with a replacement shock that is thicker and stops the noise without having to add a washer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you manage to solve the problem?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Around 60k miles, my 2016 Malibu Premier started to have some rear suspension noises when going thru bumps. I took it to the GM dealer and they found out the rear sway links (2, one on each side) need to be replaced. They are made of some kind of plastic and not durable. Later, around 75K miles they broke again, but did not have to pay for their replacement (since this was done earlier). Check it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2017 Malibu at the beginning of February 2020. After 1 week, (8days) it began making the popping noise at 16,7xx miles. Took it back to the dealership, they told me it was normal. Then found the bulletin myself, showed it to them, and they charged me $1020 for the fix. After calling GM about it, GM told me the recall was done based on VIN number and they determined my Malibu to not have the defective parts. Well okay, tell me how/why they failed before 20,000 miles!? No wonder they’re giving up on sedans past 2023.

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts
@Basedcory

What recall are you referring to? You bought this used car "as-is"? No warranty from the seller or 3rd party service contract?

·
Registered
5 Posts
@tnmats In mine it wasn't that bulletin - I just added that as it was new. Mine was fixed one of the times they replaced my fuel tank trying to figure out the inconsistent fill. No idea what they fixed. It was there, then it was gone. It was probably a loose shield they took off to drop the tank. Or a tank strap. Or the filler tube.

That #18-NA-136 bulletin adds a thick washer between the shock and the shock mount rubber to each side. If it fixes it you are done. If not, they move to replacing the knuckle. Under warranty, great but if out of warranty, decent size job and probably expensive. It focuses the area of housing contact so the washer makes contact with the mount not the housing of the shock. The "loose lumber" must be the housing of the shock thunking. I have heard this sound in many Malibus, mine even sounded similar.
It took me a little bit to pin point the thumping noise in rear of car. It the rear knuckles. But it gonna cost be $1,000. To fix, I think since chevy is having this con consistent problem it should be a RECALL

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts
It took me a little bit to pin point the thumping noise in rear of car. It the rear knuckles. But it gonna cost be $1,000. To fix, I think since chevy is having this con consistent problem it should be a RECALL
I'm glad you finally moved to replacing the knuckles and it worked. The rear knuckle replacement is the final step in the bulletin I posted a few years ago. I can't see this becoming a RECALL even if you YELL AT US IN CAPS.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.